"GOOP"

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oldjoe, Feb 27, 2017.

1. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever used "GOOP" to glue a new shaving brush knot into a handle. I've experimented with it for the last two brushes I've been working on. It seems to hold well? Also fairly easy to use. I tried it hoping it would be OK for removal if new knot doesn't work out so well and also to change the knot or the seating depth, etc.. I haven't tried to twist and remove the replacement knot yet. Anyone else ever used "GOOP"?

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I see it's listed as a glue/epoxy on one site, and a single component adhesive on another. If you are looking for a forever bond it ought to be good. Otherwise maybe something less permanent?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

If GOOP is anything like Shoe-Goo, then yes. Basically (I think) is rubber cement, and can be temporary.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, silicone.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm a user of silicone.
    I keep seeing the word "permanent" in regard to Goop. It may not be suitable for knots unless you are willing to sacrifice the knot. I find silicone allows you to remove the knot and reuse it.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I got all excited and thought someone else was shaving with Goop ! I have never used the glue, but shave occasionally with download.jpg

EnglishChannel, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Mike, we will leave that thread to you. Give it a try and report back. :happy097: It does say Multi-Purpose.

Carbide Mike and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"Shaves your whiskers and sharpens your blade all in one stroke!"

Carbide Mike, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  9. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

OK, so silicon is temporarily and possibly good? That is what I was shooting for to begin with. Something I could remove the knot if it didn't work out. The brush worked fine for this morning's shave. I just hope I can removed the know now? Put something in there that is far more dense!!!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I have been making my own blades and really only use it do to its unrivalled slickness ! Goop has no pumice in the type I use, and prevents nicks and weepers while I was testing several grinds, and hones, for the fact I am using materials not normally used for blades. Ceramic, corundum, carbide and carbon. It is very helpful especially when constructing straight razors , and can also be used as a handicap for anyone using a straight razor or shavette for the first time. Although it has a distinct scent, it washes off easily with any soap. For those reasons, it is why I use it, and much prefer all my other soaps for a regular shave but can be instrumental in learning technique with a extremely sharp edge, and no cuts or irritation like razor burn. Hope this can clarify any reasons why I would use it.

11. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I did not know the hand cleaner and the glue had the same name? Same company? I think the glue is very much like Shoe-Goo? I glued the knot and so far so good. Now I wonder if the knot is removable, but I am not there yet?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Yeah, Shoe Goo is great stuff. Smells like the little straw and stuff they sold back in the day for making bubbles at the local candy store's.