Got a bottle of the Veg

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Drygulch, Aug 10, 2015.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I decanted my Veg into the toilet.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It is advertising hype. And I'm 100% sure about that. I bookmarked this page a while ago, as it's the best history reference I've read on Pinaud.
    http://teleport-city.com/2013/10/12/pinaud/
    Excellent quote from the article:
    [From B&B poster] Topgumby: “Legends say the Veg will magnify your true essence…on some, it smells like cannon smoke and raw courage; on others, like an involuntary bodily reaction caused by the sudden unexpected appearance of cannon smoke and raw courage.”
    Ironic, considering that is the same place the "secret" ingredient comes from.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    youngunn, RyX, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  3. cmorris357

They don't call it Eau de Toilette for nothing.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

but my face feels so nice, and after the initial burns off, it smells very nice.

mrchick and Drygulch like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Drygulch likes this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I tried another round last night. I have been rejected by the Veg. Arko hates me too. Looks like some of the classics don't work for me.

On the plus side, I joined a new club. @SDK

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Another line from the article is "Still, it’s been around for a long time." So that could explain the smell of decaying lilacs in the rain!

mrchick likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Interesting article, Ryan. This item, especially....
    "American International Industries bought Pinaud US in the 1970s. In the 1990s, in an effort to save money as their market share dwindled against better known “drugstore brands” and the rise in interest in premium, designer brands, Pinaud switched to plastic bottles and reformulated many of its signature scents to compensate for plastic. Once again, the history of perfume and whiskey distilling reflect one another. Whiskey brands tend to get reformulated, the names sold and resold, until what bears the name does not bear much resemblance to what used to bear the name. The reformulated line of Pinaud Clubman products was not warmly welcomed by fans of the brand, who thought the new stuff was too artificial smelling since many natural botanicals had been replaced by synthetics."

So the odors emanating from those Pinaud bottles of Clubman and Vegetal today may have little association with the original scent the modern marketing would have you believe.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

FIFY! :D

10. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

You MUST, MUST, MUST decant The Veg into glass. MUST.

Bama Samurai and dbersh like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Love The Veg. Use it almost exclusively as a body splash these days. Keep it in a glass bottle. Great, manly scent.

Hodge and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

In Latin: Ego liquo, ego apposui, ego possedi male!

In English: I decanted, I applied, I got sick!

13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

As my own pet Latin says, "There is no accounting for taste". The first time I smelled The Veg, I thought to myself, "This smells like someone's grandmother peed herself. I must apply more". ;) Nothing but love for the stuff since.

Good enough for Bela Lugosi, good enough for me!

youngunn, RyX, Hodge and 2 others like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Somehow the logic in this sentence eludes me.....
    :D:D

15. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Ah the VEG. I love it and have been chosen. I say that's a blessing, others say it's a curse. It can be a finicky. 99 out of a hundred times smells wonderful, however I learned for some odd reason when I start getting sick, cold etc it turns on me and can not use without having my gag reflex kicking in. Some say it's a change in body chemistry others say my senses must become normal when ill....

Agree must decant into glass bottle, and will always be in the den.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The human body is an amazing creation, able to withstand a broad variety of infection and disease. Invariably, when under duress, it reacts accordingly in an attempt at self-preservation when afflicted by a perceived threat. Hence, in this instance following an application of The Veg, the uncontrollable gag reflex.

richgem and Drygulch like this.
  17. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

As I've said before, I love the veg. Smells great and I love to use it as a body splash. I'm always surprised to hear criticism of it, especially from guys who live and die by Mennen products and Aqua Velva. ;)

entropy1049 likes this.
  18. crb81

crb81 Well-Known Member

So I got a PIF in the mail today. The Veg! Came with directions that if I was not chosen that I pass it on to an unsuspecting soul. So I untape the bottle and splash some on the back of my hand. Smelled skunky in the plastic bottle so I was a little worried. Smells like lilacs that I had near my house growing up on my skin with some weird almost lime hint to it. Not sure what that's about. Definitely can smell the plastic bleeding into the AS though. Need a glass bottle NOW!

19. cmorris357

Porcelain works best. I used the toilet bowl myself

youngunn, Drygulch and crb81 like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

$2 olive oil cruet....

178-bplatoon, Mr. Shaverman and crb81 like this.