Got Laid Off

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by qhsdoitall, Mar 10, 2009.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

As i posted in another thread, after 26 years with NEC Electronics America Inc, I was laid off last Thursday along with 27% of the workforce. I don't expect the company to survive since their sales are rapidly approaching non-existent. We might be the lucky ones that get a decent severance package. I understand why they did it. I'm not pissed but it could not have a come at a worse time. So, it's job hunting time. Here's some additional news. The people they laid off were not redundant. They all serve critical functions, myself included. A lot of my work fed into other critical areas including sales compensation systems. They are now thinking of having me come back in to do my absolute critical stuff on a contracting basis and train someone to handle it in the future. Nice huh? So, I was talking to my friend who is trying to do some of my work now and what had the company done? They terminated everyone's accounts instead of just deactiviating them so, no one can get into peoples systems, network drives or emails now by just logging into the accounts of the people who left. In other words, they can't do the jobs until they can somehow reconnect everything. Brilliant. So even if I did come in I can't get to my stuff. Oh well. Not my problem now except I feel real sorry for those left behind.

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I'm sorry to hear about that. I know it probably sounds lame, but keep your chin up.

3. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

My last permanent* job ended in June 2002. I had been a consultant prior to taking that job and I have had occasional consulting work since separation from that company. When I was laid off many essential services within the company went with me. I was not replaced and there was no support from the parent company. Since then the company has ceased to exist.

As a consultant I have trained many people to take over my work when the contract ends. When I was laid off, I trained a programmer to do my job but I hear that she was too busy programming to actually do it in my absence so the company went without.

You seem to be on top of the situation and that's very good. Looking for work is a full time job (I do something geared to landing a job 7/24/365) and can be frustrating. If it ever gets to you just remember, it could be worse. You could be looking for work in Detroit! ;)

* There are only two types of job, consulting and the job you haven't been fired from, yet.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Oh man, that really sucks, Rich! i'm really, really sorry!

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Sorry to hear about that. Best of luck!

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

That does blow. Hope everything works out. In the mean time, you can come sit on the couch with me.

7. MK-ULTRA

MK-ULTRA New Member

I am very sorry to hear that. I hope things work out well for you.

I you can figure out a way for me to remotely buy you a beer (or drink of choice), let me know.

8. Rogue

Rogue New Member

That sucks. Good luck in finding another job! It's rough out there. I've been out of work for almost a month now having been some mix of being fired and laid off (was let go and told to come back in 90 days?).

I'm even considering a change in careers where there's more job opportunities.

9. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Enjoy some (brief) time off and good luck on the upcoming job search.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Sorry. :( Good luck on the hunt.

11. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

Man that sucks. I wish you well in your search. I stress every day about getting laid off. Anyway, best of luck.

Aaron

12. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Sorry to hear it bro, good luck landing a new gig soon.

I'll use some Aqua Velva for a week straight in your honor. ;)

13. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Sorry to hear about that Rich. We wish you the very best on locating something new.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Rich, I'm sorry to hear that. :( Things will turn around for you, be positive. ;)

15. JimR

JimR Active Member

Damn that's hard to hear. Good luck on the search, and keep your chin smooth...

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I am. Thou shalt not let the shaves suffer. On a positive note. I can do hot towel shaves every day now. :)

17. Will

Will Nevermind

Sucks man, Move here you can go job hunting with me or I could come their. I am pretty good with garlic. :happy102

Anywho, good luck a huntin' and remember it was better to leave with a pay then to still until they tank. Any 401K or retirement?

18. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

There you go! I haven't had a rushed or bad shave since I lost my job either. Hey maybe we should start a group of unemployed motorcycle riding wet shavers?

19. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Raw deal, Rich......sorry to hear the bad news.

On the flip side:
    Youve accumulated enough shavery to last 2 lifetimes..........so, ya got that goin for ya. Which is nice ;)

20. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

True. Sell off the non-essential shave gear and you'll never have to work again, and you still wont run out.