Got poor tired razors? I need help with project.

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by Tforc, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tforc

Tforc Member

First canidates finished

OK I give you Stealth Razors.

I used flat black gun coating from John Norell arms look them up.
    I used this on my 1911 10mm gun. The coating is a bake on finish for guns, water proof in sea water,chemical resistant to all gun cleaning solvents and oils.
    Used on Socom weapons in the hands of our brothers in the armed forces.

Bead blasting is recommended but i don't have the equip for that, i used sand paper to smooth. All i did- clean, steam clean, sand parts i could, wire brush areas couldn't reach, clean, steam clean, wipe with acetone, warmed parts to 100, shook up the flat black for 20min, applied with air brush light coat, warmed, light coat, warmed, light coat, bake at 300 for 1 hr, smoother with 1200 grit on top to smooth for shaving went heaver on the parts that contact the blade. I had a couple problems with sanding to much on one razor and went through the coating so i re pressed and re coated which you can do with this coating. The coating can be wiped off with acetone before baking but after baking will take sand paper or bead blasting to get off.

Is it cheaper i don't know with the time i spent i hope that peeps will enjoy them use them and get back to me how they hold up. The price of the coating is @ 28.00 for 8oz now i have coated a gun and two razors and i am just above half way on the bottle some being over spray.

Thanks to all who sent razors and those who contacted me send them on will do my best for your razors and post before and after, so stay tuned.

Attached Files:

alpla444 likes this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The razors look good. Very stealthy for those clandestine early morning shaves.

;)

The pistol is very nice looking also. With the cost of ammo these days, I hope you reload for the 10mm.

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Very neat. Would be interesting to see how this would do on a TTO.

4. Tforc

Tforc Member

TTO hmm

I think if it was hashed up and i can get a my hands on a media blaster it would work great. More colors are available on the site even primary colors that can be mixed. The air brush can spray into tiny areas but the chrome or nickel needs to be roughed up. It would be better if they can be taken apart then blasted washed,wipe, spray, bake. lube assemble. i know some fat boys can be unscrewed but the later ones i read are pressed on might remove and c-clip them?
    B

5. NoahG

NoahG Member

Pretty cool stuff!

6. Moe

Moe Active Member

Awesome!

Can't wait to give the long comb a spin :drool

Nice job!

-Moe

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Awesome! That tech looks much better now then it did to start with! Can't wait to find out the shave feel of the razor. :D

:bounce015 Great Work!

8. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

Looks great!!! Do you feel that if you sand blasted first you would get better results? Wonder how that would work on a straight razor?

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Pretty cool.

11. Tforc

Tforc Member

Been wondering same thing

It is recommended to media blast but that is for guns that are steel, stainless that is why i wanted to do this experiment. Read more at John Norell arms.

Was thinking same thing but when honing you will have to cover the spine with tape like in Gssixgun videos or the coating will come off. it would have to be a really bad looking razor good shaver unless you want to do a display. The coating will stick to steel that is media blasted it is what it was made for. I also wonder if the flat black will hinder the visibility when shaving str8 with only the 1/8 in of the shaving edge visible which i think would be bad to coat. Other colors are available i just had flat black.
    B

12. stingraysrock

Well I will admit that I wish i would have got on this gig the first go around. I did not catch all of it until lately though.

The end result looks way beyond decent!

13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that a gloss black would look sweet.

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

BTW: for those that don't know, this ended up being a very appropriate color for the tech. That Contract Gillette tech likely started off as a black razor. However, by the time it was in my hands the original finish was completely worn off. From the Mr. Razor site: [​IMG]
    So I am quite psyched that it ended up being done in black with a gun finish.

alpla444 likes this.
  15. Tforc

Tforc Member

FYI

Gloss black is available at http://www.molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp along with other colors. 28.00 for 8 oz enough to do tons of razors. I did find a mini sand blaster but will need some over time to get it then i can experiment on couple franken razors i have now thanks to experiment donor.

B

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Take the time, it will be very interesting to see what will become of that.

The others look really neat and different.

17. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Looking at the colors there, I'd be very interested to see what the Stainless Steel looks like on a razor.

And for fun.. maybe a July 4th TSD PIF contest for the RED, WHITE and BLUE Flat color... :happy108

18. stingraysrock

Rock solid idea Mang!

19. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

A holiday theme with the 4th would definately be a neat razor to have.

20. Tforc

Tforc Member

4th of July

4th of july sounds great. I was also thinkig barber pole? looks like there is interest in pursuing this coating more. I am more than willing to keep on going. But i also think the razors that are finished and the ones promised from contacts need to get finished and back in the hands of the users to see what they think of the shave and looks.

Working over a franken razor that was donated (thanks Moe) with handle cracks and little plate left on head. So far i have cleaned it and used solder to reattach the ends. I also filled the hollow tube of the handle with solder for more weight.

Baking coating now. I plan on trying it out when finished. might be a way to get some razors with cracked handles up and running.

I will have to check with the shave den moderators to see how best to continue offering coating without whacking any rules.

Still want to try out mini media blaster but need some over time at work.
    Getting more colors at 28.00 ea will also have to wait for some over time as i am committed to a Voskhod group blade buy.

Will post pics of franken razor when done tomorrow stay tuned.

Thanks to all who donated razors and the ones yet to come in.
    Thanks to the shave den and all the hard work keeping the treasure of shave knowledge flowing.
    Bryan:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.