Got poor tired razors? I need help with project.

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by Tforc, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Now thems look cool! :happy088:happy088

2. Tforc

Tforc Member

Whew

Thanks Gary Glad your happy with them. It is a load off my mind.
    Stay tuned i have more suprises later.
    B

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Excellent stuff Bryan. You're only getting better.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I will second that comment! :happy096

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Star looks great! I have a Star given to me by Dougr that I really enjoy very much.

6. Moe

Moe Active Member

+1, I really like how that Star looks,,, heck, I like them all. Good Job!

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Too cool, all of them!

If it weren't for the plastic not holding up under the heat, you know what razor would look absolutely bad-a** blackened like that? The Pal Adjustable injector...one of the coolest looking razors already, it'd be wicked looking in black (with discreet hints of the stainless still showing).

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. Tforc

Tforc Member

NEXT!!!!!

OK The one Etoyoc has been waiting for Boom Stealth Flat Black Fat Boy with Red racing numbers. When i took it apart the adjustment spring was broken and it had corrosion. Used air eraser to remove all corrosion and rough up or remove the plate. The pitting is still there in the bad spots and will be seen in person but kept the dimensions. Soldered the spring shortened it. Put grooves back in to adjustment but didn't want to do to much, should hold place when clamping a blade. What i learned sand the ends of the doors that swivel hard to get them back on with sharp edges, add extra coats on ends of doors they now have tiny scratches that will be seen in person but i figured Etoyoc has been waiting long enough so we will see what he thinks when in hand. the T stem that holds the doors and every thing inside was coated except parts that had a tight mating surface. Red is auto touch up paint soaking with mpk or acetone might take them out don't know yet.
    The three piece razors are same as before but prepped with air eraser and i feel the adhesion is better in all nooks and crannies. soldered handle back on and coated. Enjoy
    B
    PS shinny fat boy is my daily driver and not for sale.
    Just wanted to add a note to let you know how great NoahG is. I saw he had a fat boy he was cleaning and having trouble with and sent pm asked if i could buy for this project to test with and he said since it was his lucky day (pillson brush he won) it was my lucky day. He gave me that fat boy for testbed. I am humbled and i bow to NoahG for his generous nature and thank him very much.
    :1respect:1respect:1respect
    b

Attached Files:

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That Fat Boy is looking good! Excellent work! :cool::cool::cool:

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Looking at that FatBoy again. It is too bad the Gillette never offered one of those in Black Nickel in the 60s.

Black with red dial markings really looks nice! :cool::cool::cool:

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Going to force me to find a Fat Boy and send it off for black nickel replating, eh? :happy102

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yay!... that fat boy looks as sweet as I was hoping it would! They all look good, but that fatboy was the challenge. :D

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, actually, yes!:D

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The razors came in today.

Bryan, you did an excellent job!

Here is a photo set of the Star!

Attached Files:

Azarius and alpla444 like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Wow! Great Job.

When I saw the pile of parts that made up the fat boy, I was a little scared at first. I know well enough that disassembling anything other then to taking the head off (of my 3 piece razor) to remove the blade is beyond my ability.

Awesome job.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

An extra...

There was one item that Bryan did not show because he only had the handle.
    I held the head because I wanted to leave it in nickel finish. The finish was acceptable enough to do this. Now that I have the handle back, here is the finished product.

Attached Files:

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I had enough faith in Bryan that I wasn't worried about it. If worse came to worse, I would have a pile of freshly coated parts to put together myself.

Bryan, you do good work!

18. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

How hard was the Fatboy to take apart and put back together? Any special tools? Looks to me like there's a recessed little nut that would be hard to get to without a special wrench.

The Star looks excellent! Did you do anything to the gold? Or was it just taped off?

You're definitely getting better and better. Any thoughts of a little sideline business? I think this place could keep you busy!

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Here is one method to do the job...

20. Tforc

Tforc Member

Thanks for all the support glad to help

The star gold was good to go masked off sprayed wiped off over spray with qtip. Polished after cureing finish.

One thing before you take a fat boy apart make sure the comb bar is straight. Use a flat end punch or Polly drift so you don't damage the adjustment knob or the top. The bottom cap comes off A-screws off with a tool made from a squeeze clip or sping clip pliers 59-early 60, or B- on newer fatboys a 5mm socket pressed down will take the crimp out letting you remove the doors. follow the link Etoyoc provided. Unless it is so dirty it wont work i would only take off the doors and use a airbrush brush cleaning set and scrubbing bubbles. If it still doesn't work for you or you know you have corrosion then take it down. I also measured the blade lifter at each setting 1-9 so you can get it back to correct hight. Putting it back together i used a pen press i made years ago.

As far as making a business out of it naa it is just a way to give back to the fine people of the Shave Den. If your wondering if i will do this for you heck ya as long as i have blasting media and coating left PM me. If your reading this and are thinking of that great shape razor that is hidden out of sight due to little no plate left and you want to use it, use it pif it, use it gift it ect. PM me.

Stay tuned for Fat Boy #2 (Thanks NoahG) in work now. I have another surprise hopefully Later this week.
    Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.