Great with straights, but DE?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by entropy1049, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I found that shaving with a straight improved my DE and SE shaves. Slicker lather and better skin stretching. I use the same techniques with all razors, the only difference is I use both hands with a straight.

entropy1049 and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. RichMack

RichMack Well-Known Member

Considered a single edge safety?

entropy1049 likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Awesome! You just needed to do it again. All razors are the same really!

entropy1049 likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I suggest two things: cold water and ride the cap. Those two things solve many problems for me.

entropy1049 and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have similar problems, but the other direction. I've shaved for so many years with a DE that I just pick one up and go, and even picking up different ones (OLD, SR, NEW SC, NEW LC, 40's, Flare, black handle SS, etc), I just unconsciously shift it to the right angle and shave.

entropy1049 likes this.
  6. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I do have a MMCP and an eye on the Sabre or Mongoose...:D

7. Bama Samurai

Schick E or G, respectfully, from a fellow denizen of the dark side. Very closely approximates gentle SR feel and efficiency. They are both wide open.

entropy1049 and Keithmax like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

SR is all about skin stretching and blade angle. One merely wipes off the lather, gently, with the SR blade. It's tedious at first. It's not hard, though. Will you nick yourself learning to set down the blade? Yes! Will you be able to get it figured out? Absolutely. Is it an amazing zen experience? You'll never know unless....

entropy1049 and Keithmax like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

After time shaving with the street will be the same for you too. Just pick it up and go and you intuitively know the angle.

10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Implications of road rash there. I'm sure the first few shaves will end up feeling like that.

With the medical stuff right now, I'm going to put the straights on the back burner for a month or two, until my doctor is happier. Well, unless I finally get a completely free day with nothing to do but spend a couple of hours being careful with a blade.