Griffith Shaving Goods and 1Stone Black Shadow Hone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Steve56, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Gentlemen,

I have taken an edge from the Black Shadow slate for it’s first shave and can report excellent results, the shave was smooth and comfortable. It compares very favorably to the 9-Ball slate.

This is a French slate, reportedly quarried on private property, and seems to be described as more of a knife/tool hone than a razor stone, but Matt describes it as in the 12k - 15k range and it certainly seems to be equivalent to the Naniwa 12k. That said, I think that I can get a better edge from it, the first time out was just kind of feeling it out.

Matt recommends finishing on somewhat dry slurry and said that if the slurry gets wet, you can get stiction. He also states that finishing on clear water will polish more which sounds more like a razor finish. I bought the large one because the other two didn’t qualify for free shipping, so might as well turn shipping into stone.

It needed lapping, it wasn’t flat but no big deal. I prepped a Le Grelot Campiono to 8k with a Shapton Glass HC and then did my initial finishing using thin slurry. After I’d gotten a slate finish on the bevel, I rinsed everything off and did 40 light strokes on clear water.The bevel appearance was a hazy polish, kind of like kasumi but not. After stropping, the edge tested silent HHT root out or in, but root in needed a little closer ‘hold point’ on the hair. That’s a good result for a slate, and for a first time out on a hone that you don’t know how to get the best from, just on it’s shake down trial.

I did get a flake of the corner of the hone, and hope this doesn’t mean that a wide edge bevel will be needed like the vintage La Lunes, but again no big deal. A bad image of the flake is attached below.

If you’re in the market for a nice razor slate, this seems to be one.

8D269F5C-D36C-4747-8F9B-73D0CE48D2B5.jpeg 0E5292A3-1857-4B28-914C-5729D2A5476C.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    jgreenepa, Mike-R41, gssixgun and 3 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks for the review. I was curious about it.

Zykris likes this.
  3. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Same, I was looking for something to finish on past my Naniwa 12k. I’m getting excellent results with my Naniwa stones, just was curious about naturals.

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This stone is not much of a step up from the Naniwa 12k IMO, if any, though the edge might be a little smoother. No slate will be. The next step up from the Naniwa 12k is the Gokumyo 20k or the Shapton 0.85u or 0.44u G7. Or the 30k Shapton Glass if you have $350 in spare change. Small thuris can be had for around $100 that are in the same ballpark if you want a natural edge, but as with all naturals, YMMV.

That said, I haven’t tried oil, glycerin, etc and those lubes on the Black Shadow slate, which usually yield a better edge.

I’m a beginner with this stone, but I can tell that it is a competent razor finisher, no worry about that.

DaltonGang and Mike-R41 like this.
  5. Mike-R41

Yeah Glenn sent me a link on that Gokumyo, but that’s too expensive for me. I think my best bet would be to get a small koppa

Steve56 likes this.
  6. Mike-R41

I sent you a message in Badger & blade With a link to this Japanese natural stone I’m looking at

Steve56 likes this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Got it.

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Get the Shapton 0.85u or 0.44u G7. Problem solved if you want a synth.

9. DaltonGang

Or, you could spring for a nice Arkansas Surgical Black.

Pedigree and Steve56 like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I might do that Scott, if you would lap and condition it for me, rofl.

I don’t mention it much, but I do have Arks.

DaltonGang and gssixgun like this.
  11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

I think almost all of us have one tucked away, the very first hone I ever owned for SR's was some "Super Cool" special White Arkansas cost me $102 back in 1981
    I have one razor that I still maintain with it..

DaltonGang and Steve56 like this.
  12. DaltonGang

I thought we were friends. :eatdrink047:

gssixgun and Steve56 like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Apologies Scott, ‘Friends don’t ask friends to lap Arks’. :D

DaltonGang likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

Where's Billy(@Billyfergie ) , he will lap anything? :susel: