Grits what do you do with them?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Ragnost, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

I had never eaten grits until I moved to FL 10 years ago. My favorite way to eat them today ... butter, salt and pepper, and scrambled egg all mixed in. Very filling breakfast, lunch, or dinner. ;)

2. jkingrph

jkingrph Member

You are making this old Louisiana boy very hungry!!!

3. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Yes, it is even something that I can cook and eat without using the microwave or gas grill.:happy088

4. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Went to New Orleans with the family last Christmas-we had the best grits we've ever tasted at a place called Surrey's. We've been trying to duplicate
    the taste-the more butter we add the closer it gets.

JoAnna-can you make a grit flavored product? :D

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sure, I've got some sand around here somewhere. A little butter, a little sand, voila! :D

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:laugh042

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I've eaten grits since a kid . The way I make them is to prepare with water , salt and butter maybe add some cheddar cheese at the end melted in.

Then I take 2 or 3 eggs prepared over easy and place on top the cooked grits. Chop the eggs into the grits and mix all around in a bowl. The egg yolks break into the grits and the cooked egg whites add a bit texture.

I still eat grits like this for breakfast or a quick one bowl dinner. Our thing too was center cut pork chops to go along with grits and eggs.

8. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

:happy001

9. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Pinch of salt, Some sugar and real Butter. Maybe a touch a maple syrup if so inclined. BTW if he was really nice he would have brought you some sorghum molasses and country ham to go with the grits. Cathead biscuts rock.

10. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

that movie ruin't me many years ago, every time I hear/read/cook grits, the first thing that pops in my head is "Them's hominy grits" :D

Heck yeah!

One of my personal favorites:
    Start with a plate
    Add two slices of toast (with plenty of butter - pan grilled toast is best for this)
    Then two slices of fried bologna* (thick cut, of course)
    Then two fried eggs
    Then a big ole' slatherin' of grits, plenty of butter, salt, and pepper
    Take big bite, masticate, swaller, repeat

*(Why bologna and not sausage and/or bacon? Well, usually if I make this, I'm making a breakfast just for me, and bologna is more convenient than sausage/bacon in such scenario, though just as tasty in this recipe)

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

every time I see the thread... every time... :D

12. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

not til now...and it sure makes some of the recipes a lot more interesting :happy102

13. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Y'all crack me up. Grits, not runny but not firm either. Butter, salt, pepper if you're into it. Finis. But I will cede to shrimp and grits. Just got back from Charleston, SC where I had that twice.

14. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Grits ( no not Girls) what do you do with them?

Hi I would just like to thank everyone so far for their suggestions and recipes please keep them coming and just for the record at 53yrs old it’s many summers since I found out what to do with girls:drool

15. camjr

camjr New Member

Even if you don't eat them, instant grits are a great way to kill fire ants...

Sprinkle instant grits around a mound. They carry it in as food, eat it, swell up, and die.

Not as quick as a poison, but if you'd rather try something non poisonous, it's worth a shot.

Cheers!

16. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

I believe recent research indicates that the fire ants do, indeed, carry the grits into their home and eat it. But rather than dying, they curl up and take a nap afterward. The ants are even more attracted to the grits if you sprinkle some instant coffee (decaf to ensure a good sleep) around the mound--a little fried egg and crumbled sausage is helpful, too.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm glad this thread got revived. It inspred me to make some grits and eggs earlier for lunch.

Bob's Red Mill Organic yellow hominy grits (Yes, thems hominy grits), butter, fresh ground black pepper, a smidge of salt and two eggs over medium.

Scrumtrulescent!

18. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Bleckh :sick007

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

lol :happy102

20. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

OOOOO battle.munky my SWMBO is not happy with you. I got on TSD before getting out of bed this morning and now she is in the kitchen makin us all some Grits! I think I even heard some cursin!

I am gettin ready to have me one yummy breakfast!!!! :D