Guido's Chili

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by AsylumGuido, Dec 23, 2008.

1. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

The following is as close as I can come to my "recipe" for my chili this past weekend. I very seldom use recipes when cooking and my chili varies with every cooking, but this one came out nicely.

2 lb. well marbled beef chuck roast
    2 lb. well marbled pork ribeye roast
    4 slices thick hickory smoked bacon
    7-8 large dried Colorado or New Mexico chiles
    4 fresh Anaheim or Hatch chiles – seeded and diced
    4 large fresh Jalepeno peppers – seeded and diced
    2 medium white onions - diced
    1 tbsp powdered baker’s chocolate or one full cube of bar type
    1 bottle Dos Equis Amber beer
    32 oz can crushed tomatoes
    2 16 oz cans chunky Rotel tomatoes and chiles
    2 tbsp ground cumino
    2 tsp Mexican oregano
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp cayenne
    2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp salt (or to taste)
    Chalula hot salsa (or one of your choice - to taste)
    Olive oil
    1 32 oz can of water
    1 pot of cooked dark kidney, light kidney and pinto beans.

First prepare the meat by double grinding the chuck roast with a coarse grinder. The second round of grinding infuses the fat into the lean. Then single grind the pork roast and set both aside.

Remove stems and seeds from the Colorado chiles and cut into one inch pieces with scissors. Then place chile pieces into a food processor and grind until they are the consistency of crushed red pepper. There is no need to get them too fine since they will cook down some. Besides, I like the bright red flecks which appear in the finished chili.

In the deep pot you are planning on using slowly fry bacon until well browned and remove. Then sauté the fresh chiles, peppers and onions in the remaining bacon grease. I suggest having the exhaust fan going full blast because the chiles and peppers can put out a near toxic aroma. Scoop sautéed veggies into a holding bowl and add a small touch of olive oil if needed to brown meat. Mostly brown the ground beef and pork and then drain off excess liquid. Add the sautéed veggies and finish browning.

Add all other ingredients except for the chocolate and beer and one third of the ground Colorado chiles and water. Dice the fried bacon and add to mixture. Add enough water to bring to a consistency a bit thinner than eventually desired. More water can be added throughout cooking, if needed, to keep it slightly thin. Bring to a slow boil and add the chocolate and stir. Then take a swig of the Dos Equis and pour the remainder into the pot. Return to a light boil and lower temperature. Let simmer for at least two hours stirring often to avoid sticking. Add half the remaining ground chiles after an hour.

Place one cup of the cooked beans and their juice and puree in a food processor. Add enough bean puree to thicken chili to desired consistency and the remainder of the ground chili and simmer for at least 30 more minutes. Ideally one would want to let the chili cool and refrigerate overnight before reheating, but it should be ready to go at this point.

Serve with whatever you wish.

Cholula hot salsa
    [​IMG]

Colorado dried chile
    [​IMG]

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Damn, now that's a serious recipe! I'm guessing it makes over a gallon and a half?

Where do I buy the 32oz can of water? ;)

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup, it makes about that much. And I needed every last bit of it when my 17-year-old's buddies dropped by the house last night and asked what I had to eat. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention that the water has all the rinsed out goodies from the tomato cans.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I figured, I was just messing with you. Now if it took Perrier or something. :rolleyes:

I had a recipe for Chili I got from another board a few years ago that called for 2 tablespoons of powdered Cocao in the mix. I thought it was odd at the time but it really does add some depth of flavor and color, I really liked it. Yours sounds much better, lets face it every thing is better with BACON!

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup, hard to go wrong with bacon. :happy088

6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Sounds yummy!

7. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Pork fat rules!

8. Dos Equis? Everyone knows you should use Yuengling in chili, especially their porter. :eek:

By the way, wonderful choice of Hatch chilis.

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

sounds awesome...definitely gonna have to give it a try!

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

wow.................that is spectacular.

Only hope I may be motivated some time in the future to try an d make it meself.
    Thanks for sharing.

11. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

dadgum, that sounds good....next time you make it, you just may have a surprise guest - don't worry about giving address or directions, I'll be able to find it...uhh, I meant the "surprise guest" will be able to find it :rolleyes::D

12. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

It is good and it freezes well. The hand cranked grinder was the best food prep investment I have made in quite awhile. I found it at an estate sale.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got one of the hand cranked grinders for christmas.. belonged to a friend of mine's grandmother... was bought in the 30's have not used it yet though.

Fuzzy