H.I.S. Synthetic Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Apr 14, 2012.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Mark prefers the naturals in terms of the overall experience and how the water retention, in terms of control, is still an issue with all synthetics. He noted in some discussions with the team that the H.I.S. is larger than what he is use to using and that when you get accustomed to one sensation over many years (badger) a different sensation feels unusual, not bad, just unusual.

As to the water retention and in the H.I.S. case of too much water retention, I merely only dip half the brush in water that provides a start point to generate the lather and if I need a little more water I just give a quick dip and continue. Each type of brush has differences in how they hold water, product retention, etc. I have to remind myself of what the differences are when I change types. An example is wasting product by using too much and making too much lather with the synthetics.

wlmcad and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. jdjones

jdjones New Member

I am new to this forum, but have been wet shaving for about 5 months now. I have been through 10 or so different brushes in that amount of time, and I now have 1. The H.I.S. is great for bowl or face lathering, easy to control water once you read Gary's suggestions, as soft as any brush available, and the best priced of any brush of this calibre. I cannot recommend it enough. After using the H.I.S. for a week, I sold or PIF'ed all of my remaining brushes and now only have the H.I.S. in my rotation. If you are on the fence, just get one. You won't be sorry.

SharpSpine likes this.
  3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a great report and a wonderful endorsement to get rid of all your other brushes. Would you be so kind as to share with us what those other brushes were that the H.I.S replaced?

Thanks and I hope you'll post some SOTD pics of that brush in action.

4. jdjones

jdjones New Member

The previous occupants of my den were nothing super high end (mostly because I'm cheap and didn't want to spend north of $50 on a brush) but were:

VDH Boar
    VDH Badger
    Omega 10098 Pro
    Omega Best Badger (6230 I think)
    Omega Boar
    Another Omega boar 10067
    Turkish Horse Hair #6
    Tweezerman Badger
    Edwin Jagger Best Badger
    AOS Pure Badger

I didn't hate all of these, but the H.I.S. made them look like toys, so they are gone to other homes now. And I will admit, there aren't any high end Rooney's or Simpson's in that list, but the H.I.S. is so soft and works so well, I don't feel the need to get into that higher priced realm to achieve great lather and comfort.

I will try to get some pics up on the next later with the H.I.S.

Tdmsu, PLANofMAN and SharpSpine like this.
  5. SharpSpine

That's no shabby list there. I see quite a few that members here would rank as some of their favorites. Congrats again on finding your one brush to rule them all. ;)

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :signs011: Agreed. For the record, I didn't know that VDH made a badger brush.

7. SharpSpine

Yeah, some Target stores are carrying it now along with some VDH kits. Pretty reasonably priced. I think the VDH badger is about the same price as the Shea Moisture brush. Somewhere around $10 IIRC.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. jdjones

jdjones New Member

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

I took the time to read your review, and you have convinced me, my friend! I just purchased one of these babies off of amazing and now the waiting begins!

Thank you for the review! Well worth the read.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    They ship pretty quick, and you won't be disappointed. It starts off great and breaks in even better. I don't know how it's possible, but it is. Which one did you get, The clear or black handled H.I.S.?

I mentioned in this thread or one of the related threads about how the clear handled brush has a silver painted ring around the knot's glue. I was wrong, after close inspection, I now realize that the ring is metal, most likely aluminum, not paint at all.

VideoGames likes this.
  11. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

Yeah, looks like 11 days which is great, considering it's from the USA to Canada.

It's never bad news to hear what you're getting into only gets better!

I decided to get the black handled one. It will match my black handled Parker 96R, and it's all about appearances!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. jrgreen

jrgreen New Member

I purchased the H.I.S. clear handle Aug. 9th. It has proven to be exceptional in all respects. I don't mind the knot size because it doesn't seem to bloom like a badger. As others have said, it has good backbone but is also silky soft on the face. My only criticism of the clear handle is that the glue shows. I have an old clear handle Eveready and they hid the glue with black paint around the inside of the knot hole. That same idea would improve the looks of the H.I.S clear. Functionally, though, it is a wonderful brush! I might mention I'm a boar man. That may make a difference in how a brush is viewed, I don't know.

GDCarrington, newb and MoAllen like this.
  13. newb

newb Resident Newb

I don't think it matters if your a boar guy or a badger guy. Good is good and this is an exceptional brush for the price. I do though also dig the Frank's Synth, but it isn't in the same league as the HIS. IMHO

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. Michael Q

Michael Q New Member

Hi All,
    I'm new to wet shaving...although, I started with a DE as a teenager. I'm trying to buy the H.I.S. Synthetic Brush, but Amazon doesn't have it in stock. Does anyone know where else I might purchase one?
    Thanks,
    Michael

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Italian Barber is one place I know that carries them off the top of my head.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Michael Q

Michael Q New Member

Thanks, Justin!!!

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I have a H.I.S. that was rehandled and the loft set to 55mm. It's pretty much ruling the roost around my house when it comes to shaving brushes.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

53 - 55 mm range was the right loft for that knot. I cut the hairs away, disposed of the original knot base, and re-knotted it completely at a smaller diameter 25.5 mm down from the original 28mm. You left your knot intact and just shortened correct?

19. Michael Q

Michael Q New Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the H.I.S. Synthetic Shaving Brush, Oscar...I ordered one an hour or so ago :^)

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Micheal, now realize that Steve's (Oscar11) brush has been modified. However, both he and I enjoy the original brush as it was manufactured. I modified one of mine and kept the other one original stock. The H.I.S. brush is only one of two brushes I know that use the 4th generation synthetic knot (the other is Muhle) so you are in for a treat when you feel the tips on this.

You can read up on the differences of the generations of synthetic knots here.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/new-synthetic-knots-at-tgn.30922/#post-544921

Third and Fourth generation synthetic knots are a real treat.
    Enjoy!