Has Anyone Compared?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Carson West, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Guys, I've amassed 20 razors now, mostly RazoRock. I've read that companies like RazoRock and Weishi have "based their designs" on Gillette classics of yore. I'm wondering if anyone has compared their "copies" with the originals. Do they feel the same? Do they have the same level of aggression? How similar are they?

For instance, I have a RazoRock DE1 that's supposed to emulate a Gillette Tech. And I've read that a RazoRock Quick Change is similar to the Gillette Super Speed. Any feedback comparing anything new with anything old will be greatly appreciated.

Terry likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Well, the Razorock quick change is a rebranded Weishi, Baili, or comparable Asian razor. Comparing it to a super speed, the Razorock will be ever so slightly milder. In a blind shave test, I doubt the difference would be noticable.

The main difference will be fit, finish, and plating. The originals are better made, better polished, and use nickel instead of chrome plating. Chrome tends to stick to the face more than nickel, so they can feel 'draggy' at times.

I guess the answer to your question would be, "pretty darn similar." Ditto for the PAA vintage inspired razors.

Carson West likes this.
  3. Carson West

Thanks for the quick answer PoM. Interesting info. I'd never heard about nickel vs. chrome.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Nickel has a warmer look to it as well. Kind of like sterling silver, chrome is more blue/white.

If you really want a 'modern' high quality super speed, the Mehaz razor is as close as you are going to get. It claims to be made in Germany. I suspect it's closer to 'assembled in Germany using chinese parts.' Either way, it's a high quality modern razor.

The caveat of course, is why pay the same price for a modern 'replica,' when the originals can be had for a similar price?

Edit: review here:
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/mehaz-razor-yes-i-do.30086/

Carson West and brit like this.
  5. Carson West

So Pom, you're saying a 60 year old original is better than a modern replica? If anyone should know it's you. If so, I'd like to buy one and have it restored to make it like new. Where would you advise I send it for the work?

6. brit

brit in a box

my biased school of thought..if you buy a nice original for a great price,you should get you investment back if you don't like it.not so sure about a replica..

7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I use only vintage. Some rare birds I've paid what might appear to be ridiculous, i.e $100. Those were a NOS straight and a model #77 RFB all original box and such. The rest were a wide range from $7 to less than $75. Unlike others, none are for sale. They don't eat and I enjoy looking at them. I also remember the hunt for each one. Lots of fun.

Carson West and Dirtfarmer like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have all of the razors you speak of new and old.
    It's the shave, if you get a good shave, it's a good razor.
    Now you get to the super speed type, and they sorta feel and shave the same as most modern razors.

I like the older razors, 1940 and earlier, they do feel different, they shave me better than the newer types.
    But that's just me, not any one else.

tp

9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I agree. Those 1950’s and ‘60’s DE were made for safety and speed. That said, if you take your time and do a couple of passes, the result in more than presentable.

Terry likes this.