Has anyone ever created a knot out of their own hair?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Tim Spencer, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

Just kicking the question around on the internet and one adhesive that gets mentioned repeatedly is Devcon 2-ton epoxy. I have used it to coat balsa wood crankbaits that I have made in the past. It dries clear and hard as granite. If I ever get the urge to try my hand at brushmaking D2T will be the glue I use.

RyX likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i have used loctite and lepage marine epoxy. good results with both in many repair applications..

RyX likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Mr Two Bits and brit like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    It depends in what you want to do. My suggestion of a resin was to make a knot with a glue puck. Just like you would buy from a supplier. On The Holy Black website is quite a good description on how Stefan made how own knots. If you want to glue the knots into a brush and the knot is already “pucked” then good old 2-part epoxy seems sensible. It does not need to be the two ton tessy variety, remember it is half an ounce of hair and you are using it on your face not to scrub down the hull of a boat. Unless... you want to go to the pain of mixing a flour and water glue like the traditional makers like Simpson would do and then glue the hairs directly into the handle. You would need to figure out how they stop it from going rotten too, not something they’re are likely to tell you- their secret sauce. Also remember brush care IF you want to keep your knot and handle in one piece then avoid overly hot water. Most epoxies will start to de-glass even in very hot water. Boiling is a no-no, 40° to 60° is plenty hot enough. Personally I am now a cold water shaver most of the time. Winter is coming so might do hot water for a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

That was what I was looking for - the right kind of adhesive to hold the hair, bristle, or fiber together like when purchasing a replacement knot.

I've used GE brand 100% silicon tub and tile sealant to stick the knots to a handle. It's mold and mildew resistant, designed to be in contact with water, and can be easily separated if/when changing the knot at a later time.

Me, too. Living on the South Coast of the U.S. where high humidity and average temp are mostly warm to hot I prefer a cool lather. Mid December to mid February I'll have a number of warm lathers if it does get cold.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Simpsons uses wheat paste glue. As far as i know, they have never attempted to conceal that fact.

7. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    They never Conceal the fact I hat they use flour/wheat paste glue but they would never tell you how to make it. Or what they might add as a preservative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    1 cup flour to 2 cups water. Stir until no lumps remain. Boil until thick.

Wheat paste is a common homemade glue...or at least it used to be. To quote a Duluth Trading Co. shirt i saw earlier this evening, "life is short, fix it yourself." :)