Has shaving ever become boring for you?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Engblom, Aug 3, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

i still buy the occasional razor i am looking for,still a couple of crats i would like, or nicer examples of what i already have . most soaps and creams work well for me so i am using up what i have for now. sometimes i just reach for the basics if i am bored like a synth brush, proraso and a rocket. then that sparks an "i feel like " moment. then its off to the cupboard to pick out something different. choices are cool, keeps it rolling along.i always get inspired from pics and stuff from here..
    going to antique shops and flea markets/swap meets is also a hobby so shaving stuff is on the list.
    95% of my razors are vintage gillettes so the shaves are similar, but thats ok because they are great shaves.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Redrock, Keithmax and Herm2502 like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I HATE SHAVING !!

THEN

wet shaving with DE razors

For over 30 years I drudged through the pain and agany of shaving with plastic throw aways. Having to shave somtimes twice a day for employment. Using an electric razor burnt me up like a fire on my face and I got a ho hum shave. Using anything but a single blade tore my face up so bad, it was distressing to say the least.
    I tried to grow a beard but my wiskers are so strait and tough after about 6 weeks I had to give it up. Shaving it off was a nightmare. Just a curse I live with.....
    I stumbled upon a post about 6 months ago that explained reasons why me, myself and I had so many issues doing that nasty deed.
    Ordered 3 different mild razors, cream, brush, and a few extras.
    There was a learning curve but not as steep as some say. Now I can't say I enjoy shaving, but the brutal ritual is now calmer, nicer, even plesant.
    If wet DE shaving becomes boring, that is much better than what shaving was half a year ago. Even a welcome change to what it once was.

tp

macaronus, BigD, Redrock and 8 others like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

All I really want now is a silvertip, and I may or may not purchase one come income tax season, that all depends. Other that I'd like to try more soaps, and find more alcohol free aftershave splashes. But as far as razors go, I'm set. I love my Krona, I've gotten my NEW, and waiting on my Tech. It took a couple of years and a chunk of change but it's been fun.

4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I might try a different shaving soap or cream every once in awhile, but not really much else. I was only ever searching for a great shave at a reasonable price. Shaving with a safety razor and traditional gear is not boring for me, but it is routine. Having found what I wanted regarding shaving, I no longer find reading about it or discussing it useful or particularly interesting. The members here are still interesting, but I have already learned the subject matter to the nth degree.

Redrock, PLANofMAN, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  5. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Complicated problem. Possible solutions:
    1) place a large order of all new software and hardware -- at least five of each -- and then commit yourself to trying every possible combination;
    2) every razor I buy is a RAD killer. I just keep buying one more...just to make sure.
    3) take up straight razor shaving. There is nothing like cold steel on your jugular every morning to focus your attention. This will keep the excitement alive;
    4) I once felt like my mission was accomplished -- a perfect shave combination. I picked up another hobby and quickly set it down again. I enjoy all aspects of shaving -- collecting, trying new products and sharing my experiences with others.
    5) I have a perfect pair of underwear and socks. This doesn't mean I want to wear them every day. Variety is the spice of life. Experiment. Try samples. There are so many new products out there.
    6) I have found my perfect razor, blade, brush, soap and AS combination. Perfect shaves every time. I still like to play the field because I know I can always come back to enjoy my perfect combo. And every time I do, I appreciate it even more.

Hope the above is helpful. If items 1 through 6 are not helpful, then I suggest you just enjoy every shave...because that why we are all here! I hear stamp collecting is fun.

6. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

This is my plan. Just because I like the combination I have so much, I have some kind of "fear" of trying other combinations. My "fear" is that I would waste a shave if the new combination is not the same good as my current setup.

Redrock likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

once i have near mint examples of my british gillettes i like , i will stop collecting.will try different soaps as they run out..

Redrock likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Exactly.
    Plus, holding a Straight Razor to your throat, daily, could never be mistaken for boring.

Trigger, macaronus, Redrock and 4 others like this.
  9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have been half way to the "dark side" with a shavette. Honestly, I found it uncomfortable to hold in the hand. I much better prefer to hold a DE handle. I am not scared of unprotected edges as I have been shaving with shavette, devette and several times I have even been doing some touch up at missed spots with just a DE blade in my hand (at work, I have some blades there I have never been taking home). I just prefer the relaxed shaves with my current setup.

macaronus and Redrock like this.
  10. Artlogon

Artlogon Well-Known Member

I did at some point picked up another hobby and now I'm back at Wet shaving with some RAD I may say.

Also came back to the forums and some new razors picked my interest.

So many new things to try!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Redrock and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i must admit ,having many soaps, brushes and razors keeps it interesting...

Redrock likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Super question and an honest one.
    In a week I'll will have been wet shaving for 6yrs, I'm really burned out on the crazy chase of the newest and most expensive gear out there, a $300 razor will not shave me any better than a $30 one.
    I still totally enjoy my shave, but I wish I had better control of my spending 4yrs ago. In the end it's just shaving.

DesertTime, Redrock, Shaver X and 5 others like this.
  13. BigMark83

I hear ya bro. I've pretty much promised myself I am not going to buy another razor unless I can get it at a good price. I'm mainly interested in Soaps and getting a Silvertip. So basically I'm mainly spending my money on soaps, aftershave and blades. Besides, I got my unobtainium, a NOS New and a NOS pre-war tech. It's like turning 21.

RaZorBurn123 and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

would love to see pics ,thanks in advance, gary

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. BigMark83

If you mean if the razors they should be in the what are you waiting for to arrive post. I took some from the auction.

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

cool thank you.

BigMark83 likes this.
  17. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I have found myself from time to time grabbing the cart in shower and just shaving both my head and my face . I can't get a good DE head shave and that leads me to being lazy because I have carts. I guess for me personally I try to enjoy what I have .I bought up a ton of gear when I started , especially AS . Every once in a while I'll order some new blades to revamp my interest and try something new. I have mostly used Derby , Personna LB and Voskhod in my DE career. I always look at new hardware online .I've been wanting a Rockwell razor for quite some time. I only make a few purchases a year now . Latest was Personna Red Israeli . Can't wait to try them!

RaZorBurn123, brit and Keithmax like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Straights keep me from getting bored, it’s fun to keep fine tuning everything.

brit likes this.
  19. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

Shaving was very boring......until I discovered wet shaving. Since then, it's been nothing but fun.

Keithmax and brit like this.
  20. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

Never ever boring. Just have the urge to buy more. But love it.