Hate threads

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will

Will Nevermind

But the mods are the ones that have to go around cracking skulls and cleaning messes.

I have seen lighthearted banter in these threads before, people may read the OP but no one ever follows.

2. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Sorry, I'm usually not this goofy.

In all seriousness:
    I don't think the issue is so much due to people ignoring the admonitions of the mods. I think we see increases in negative comments regarding B&B with the influx of new people who were perhaps banned over there. Initially there is some bitterness, and people spout off over here - that was me when I started posting here more frequently (I had been a member for a while before, but didn't visit that often). Eventually things settle down, as they realize there just really is no point in doing it, and it serves no purpose.

I would also make another point from my own perspective - it may or may not shed light on the motives behind the postings of others.
    When I initially learned of the existence of the Shave Den, based on comments I had seen posted at B&B, I was led to believe that it was set up in reaction to B&B - that it had been set up by people who had been shunned from B&B for various reasons. I had seen tempers flare there when topics like TSD soaps were brought up, and other similar things. So when I came here after I had been banned there, I assumed that this was a community of people who shared that commonality - sort of like a shaving forum Australia.

I soon learned that, whether those perceptions were true or not, it certainly wasn't the way that this forum wanted to be perceived, and so I changed my attitude and settled in.

I think the sheer fact that there is probably a good deal here who have that same shared experience is going to result in them making comments from time to time. That certainly shouldn't excuse inappropriate behavior - we can have our feelings about the other forum while still being civil. And we certainly wouldn't want this to be an unwelcoming place. For my part, I have made passing jabs from time to time, but they have been meant more in a playful, joking manner, not as a serious effort to ruffle feathers. But I think, at least for me, that it is important to realize that after some point, the joke just isn't funny anymore.

Sorry for that moment of clarity and seriousness. As I was saying:

I hate standing in line for a long time, and then the person in front of you waits until they get to the counter to decide what to get.
    I hate the fact that Doc Martens are no longer the cool, rebellious shoes they once were, but are now "punk chic."

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

You so sweet mike.

4. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Again, sleep-deprived delirium. Wait 'til my kid sleeps through the night, then you'll get back old crotchedy Mike!

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I think this thread is appropriate. I've had my problems with other forums but to constantly rehash those problems, especially in unrelated threads, would just be petty and distasteful. I have seen members here go out of their way to bash other forums for no discernible reason. It'd be best for the overall vibe of the forum if everyone kept their bitterness in check.

6. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

If it was an "every once in a great while" type of scenario, that would be one thing. However, it happened (and continues to happen) more and more, often enough that the Mod Team stepped back, took a good long look and said, "Enough." Believe me, I understand where you're coming from, and I think the process you describe above is pretty much the "norm" when things happen across other wetshaving sites. But it's up to us as the Mod Team to ensure that any excess baggage (of which we have no control or effect upon) stays out of our backyard... so to speak.

Very good points -- appreciate your $.02. :cool:

7. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Heck, aren't they "retro chic" now? I remember when you could get stomped for your Docs....then they started selling them in the malls next to "Timz"...:rolleyes:

I 8 h8...l8r sk8rs :D

In all seriousness....OP noted. :happy088

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Bobby is right--we must not to bring our personal bad experiences from the past here to the Forum. We must to comport ourselves with respect.

9. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I hate when people start a Happy Birthday thread. Who cares if someone is another year older and deeper in debt because they spent all their money buying shaving gear instead of making their house payment?

I hate when people complain about eBay. If a fool and his money are parted, it was going to happen anyway. If a person gets sniped, that’s tough luck; life is full of it.

I hate when people use a product one time and post that it’s the best damn thing they ever used and that they love it! Which brings me to the next thing, I hate love.

Actually, I don’t hate anything, I just felt like getting in on this hate thread because it looked like fun.

10. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

It's part of the ebb and flow of inter-related communities on the web. I mod over at two different forums that share the same subject of interest, and we constantly get guys at both forums that go back and forth and spout off about what certain aspect of the other forum pisses them off. Hell, I've been guilty of it before, myself, so I'm not going to point fingers and say that it's despicable behavior. It's an expected and natural way for members to vent about another site, and what usually follows is a mod steps in, wags his finger, and everything is OK for about 48 hours :D until the next "crisis" occurs. I'm used to it, don't think it's right, but expect it and stamp it out when it gets out of hand.

I think we're all responsible enough adults to avoid talking smack about the other forums on a constant basis. Let's all share the love. ;)

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Ooooo. I hate white chocolate. Unless it is in a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Than they are cool.

12. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I can't say I'm a fan of the white chocolate either....oh, snap!

oh, and tea tree....the little I've sampled, I haven't enjoyed a whole lot...although to say I hate it may be a bit strong...:D

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If that were true, this thread wouldn't be here.

14. Truckman

Truckman New Member

and so derailed!!! :D

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I must to laugh now! :happy102 :happy102 :happy102

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yes, well as for that, my thoughts tend to be the same as Will's.

17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

what happened here?
    why is this thread back on topic???
    I hate when that happens!
    :cool:

18. MaxP

MaxP Member

+1

19. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I hate when people do the +1 thing. Of course YMMV; and I hate when people do the YMMV thing too!

You had to see that coming! :D

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There are other sites?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.