Have you ever been cut BAD using a straight??

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Terry, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I'm on blood thinners and entering into straight razors. I noticed it's not recomended fot those who take such drugs. I have work and play that I use very sharp tools. I get cut sometimes and just take care of it and go on. So me no worried, but maybe I should be more concerned??

So
    Has anyone cut themselves badly using a straight, be honest.
    Thanks!
    tp

Thanks

Keithmax and Hodge like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes. I had been using straights for a while, and in a second, the blade took a 1/2 inch gouge out of the side of my chin. About 1/32 deep and wide. I still have a scar to show for it. I bled like a stuck pig, for a while. 30 minutes of pressure and a lot of stypic pen, finally made it stop. Now, when i first started using straights, i would get small and deep slices/nicks, that would bleed pretty good. All of these taught caution, and techniques.

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have cut myself way worse and more often with Kitchen knives

So if you use knives in the kitchen while on blood thinners a SR is actually safer especially considering the edge is SOOOoooooo sharp the cut is so clean it heals faster

Keithmax, Maladroit, RezDog and 3 others like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

No I haven’t - tiny nicks when learning and an occasional tiny nick but not very often. I’ve cut myself worse with a safety razor. I’m with Glen, kitchen knives have hurt me more.

Cheers, Steve

5. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

I've cut myself with a straight before, though nothing serious. I agree with @gssixgun. If you use sharp tools and sometimes make an error and cut yourself, then I wouldn't expect trouble. The times I've cut myself have been when I started using a straight and hadn't learned to pay attention to the toe of the blade, usually cutting my ears. I was using a spanish point razor and not paying attention and gashed myself, though i kept lanolin on it and it was fine in a couple of days.

I would suggest razor with a round point. I think you are less likely to nick yourself with the toe on those.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I did a nice slice along my jaw line that took a few weeks to heal but no visible scar.

I poked my ear more than once with a pointed tip but it was a round tip that I did the big slice with. You need to do short straight strokes with the emphasis on straight. I came smoothly down my cheek and just like I was holding a DE my hand automatically started to go along the jawline and I opened up an inch and a half slice in less than an instant. I was shocked to say the least and learned immediate respect for my tools.

7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Yep. They're the only kinds of thingsI've done too...

Trying to clean up my chin I moved the razor too much sideways and put a slice in it. Not badly though. Most were just little lines on my face where i stopped the blade accidentally.

Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Cut bad with a shavette but never a straight.

Keithmax and Terry like this.
  9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've done it more than once. The first was a 3" cut between my chin and my ear that bled for about 20 minutes. The second was on my chin, carning out a 1/2" x 1" chunk. But, not too bad for a few years of straights.

10. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I had a scar on the top of my cheek for a while from tapping myself at the start of a pass when I was just starting to get where I thought I had decent technique. I was attempting to shave in a very poor mirror and misjudged how far the blade was from my face. I did bleed for a while, but the scar is all but gone now several years later. I also once was examining the tang stamp on one of my razors and it swung down onto my thumb, cutting it pretty badly, but I was just being reckless in that case. I've had a couple good bleeders at other times too, but nothing leaving scars.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nope. Nothing severe. I've bled considerably more using a Mühle R41 (2011 version) than with any SR.
    As Glen stated above in post#3, any nick or slice from an SR heals incredibly quick.....surgical.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Same for me. Slapped my neck with the R41 V1 shortly after getting it. The R41 has been my daily driver for years now.

13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Not too bad, had to change the pillowcase though... Wife was pissed, whatever....

14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I cut myself bad enough to give it up. I should of got a couple stitches but didnt and now have a visable scar on my jawline

15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've gotten far worse cuts from a shavette than I have with a straight. That's just my experience. One tiny mishap with a shavette and it'll make you remember it for years to come. I've gotten cut by a straight but nothing worse than a mild nick. Slow and steady.

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I got cut worse trying to master DE and Schicks than while learning straights.

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have a visible scar from a nasty cut with a shavette. I’ve never cut myself badly with a straight.

18. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Severe, it doesnt need to be severe or deep to blood like hell. A small nick on the wrong place can bleed really bad, no matter if its a shavette, straigth or even a safety razor.

I cut myself quite a few times with, for me, poorly honed blades, comparable to shavette shaving.
    With a softly, comfortably honed full hollow i hardly cut myself and cuts are small, and because of stupid experiments,..

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This is just one of those days. The first Straight Razor to give me a good bite, is back in rotation. It has lived up to its name. It is soooo sharp, from toe to heel, and if you don't watch everything, it will bite, without warning. You wont even feel it, but just see the blood trickling down. It takes one of the sharpest edges of anything I have.
    So, today, after a long absence from cutting myself, this little (Word for a Female Dog) bit me. Not bad, but a little bleeder. I stopped it fast, with a little pressure, but the rest of the shave made me nervous. I think it is time to defang this one, and mute the tip.

"Respect 4".
    Best Silver Steel
    Extra Hollow Ground
    Germany.

P9210563.JPG

20. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

A few passes on crox could make it a different shaver!
    Coticule also does wonders