Have you ever been cut BAD using a straight??

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Terry, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Sorry
    I don't know the slang, help me with these please.
    Thanks
    tp

2. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

• If you put some cromium oxide paste,the green one, on a looming strop, an agressive razor gets quite a bit more comfy!

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088:

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I love very sharp razors, but this thing is scary sharp, but very smooth. I might try your suggestion with the CrOx.

5. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

No. A weeper here or there. Worst cut was to my thumb when honing. Hands were wet and stone slid off the base. Instead of setting the razor down tried to pick it up with razor in hand and well crap happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Someone had to say this... The razor demands "Respect"!

Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have had a few nicks with a straight, but no bad cuts. I have had worse with a shavette. I almost did not try straights because of my experience with shavettes. All is good now.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Exactly.

Terry likes this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I've been doing straights for about 3 months now.

I'm careful, and make the time. I've been rewarded for that. Opened up a small cut here and there. Feel them long before I see them.

The doc has me on aspirin. It takes longer to stop bleeding nowadays.

10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I never have. Ive only given myself a minor nick with one. Honestly, Ive cut myself far worse with a DE than I ever have with a straight or shavette. Id attribute it mostly to the fact that I show straights more respect because theres nothing protecting me from the blade.

11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have cut myself on my cheek pretty bad when I started, and again recently when I tried out my WB 8/8. I am considering whether it is worth it, since I can get closer and more comfortable with DE at this point.
    Looks beautiful, though.

12. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

It took me a good year before it was "worth it" for me. Straight shaving is something I think you need to do every day, especially those days when you just want to do a quick DE shave.

13. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Just shave with the same blade for 30 consecutive days, no honing inbetween, just stropping.
    If the bevel was set correctly that should work fine, but if the bevel was agressive the blade will loose its agressiveness.
    You will need to adjust your technique from agressive to soft, but you will learn it day to day.
    A bigger angle, guilotine strokes or scything strokes, a tad of pressure,...
    After a month you shave as fast as with a DE, and if, after a month you turn to a DE, you will need to be carefull cause DE blades are dangerous

14. Maladroit

Maladroit New Member

7 years using a straight and only very minor nicks - generally worse with a DE but oddly enough never a mark with a GEM SE

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

When first learning I scratched myself with the spike tip. Now, when honing or restoring; my fingers are a different story altogether ;)

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got a pretty good nick from a DE blade glued to a stick..the stivette.. but from an actual straight I have not gotten more then small weepers.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is worth it if you want to build that skill. In the end if all you are after is a good shave any good razor can give that. I enjoy being able to use different styles of razors to get great shaves.

Nothing odd about that Good Sir. The GEM razors rock!

Keithmax, Terry, Tdmsu and 1 other person like this.
  18. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

19. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I'm due. ;)

20. Edward Brice

Edward Brice Active Member

The good thing about a straight is when the inevitable happens at least the cut is so clean that they heal in no time!.