Have you ever used a brand of blades you couldn't get AT LEAST 3 good shaves from?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tazorac, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Yes
    Shark SS - didn't finish a single pass
    Merkur - 1 pass and they irritate too much
    Black tuck Wilkinsons- 1 pass

2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Agreed! How can a company that makes such wonderful razors make such poorly rated blades? I say :signs131: again!!!

ninjack and Shave Fu like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, I couldn't even complete one shave with a Personna. Neither could my husband.

crackstar likes this.
  4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

To me, given Germany's long metallurgy history, it is a mystery, how come none of the blades that come from there, get raving reviews. Aside the Merkur, which i think simply tries to sell on the hype of its brand name, being "bang for buck" trainned, my eye immediately caught the rest of german blades, made by Feintechnik. And you can find here Lamix and Croma Diamant, for 7-8 EUR per 100. Still, for all the googling i made, i couldn't convince myself to order them. Because the negative reviews, were extremely negative, not just negative. And it appears that they are not very smooth blades. It's as if they were manufacturing them to go to war, rather than to the bathroom. :happy097: I mean, sorry, but, even looking at Merkur razors, for example, i can't find the elegance of the Parkers or even the EJ DE89. They seem more "tools". I mean, even the packaging of the german blades, is kind of scary and puts me off as being "too sober and sharp" (Croma Diamant) or "too sloppy for a German" (Lamix):

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If i had to choose between the 2 just out packaging (despite being the same manufacturer), i 'd pick the Croma. But somehow, i am afraid that this might be too sharp and scratchy for me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Why is everything so big?

6. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Italians like to look at details of the packaging. This was the zoomed out image from the website i took them. The zoomed in was much bigger. :D I spoilerized them for you. :happy088:

Keithmax and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I just got a new cellphone and I needed to adjust the settings. My fault. :)

Shave Fu likes this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Merkur, Shark, and Dorco 301, in that order. I have never been able to complete one shave comfortably with any of the three.

9. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Your the first person I've seen say they can get 6 shaves from Derby...can you grow a full beard?

crackstar likes this.
  10. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Yes.

I have to give the disclaimer under full disclosure, I have a round bread/goatee so I do not shave my upper lip or my chin.

So I stand by original statement that I can get 6 shaves out of my Derbys.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I almost had three shaves with a Gillette Rubie. On its third shave, I switched with a razor that had four shaves on a Lab Blue to finish, after the first pass.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I do pretty well with Derbys but I know a lot of guys don't care for them. For me the worst are:

Dorcos
    Treets
    Sharps (they're good for perhaps three shaves but that's it!)

Another blade I'll never allow in to my house is a Feather because although it's a top-quality blade it's literally dangerous for me. The last time I used one I cut myself severely in three places and I had to go to the ER.

Bama Samurai and Shave Fu like this.
  13. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Derby
    Feather
    Merkur
    All horrid for me.

Shave Fu and lightcs1776 like this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I rarely use any blade more than once. My beard is very coarse and I like to get as close a shave as I can. Even when using a feather I am still saving a boat load of money relative to what I spent in my cart refill days.

Bama Samurai, Shave Fu and ninjack like this.
  15. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I am seriously considering ordering 100 Treet Platinums, simply based on the fact that you love Derby and hate Treets. Since i hate Derbys, Treets should be wonderful for me. :happy097:

Bama Samurai and crackstar like this.
  16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

VDH blades that you can pick up at Target seem to be good for one to two shaves and then they start to tug at least in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Treets is another brand that almost unanimously has bad reviews.

Shave Fu likes this.
  18. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I 've found very conflicting reports (including Amazon), so i will order just a tuck and see how it goes. :happy088:

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Treet Silver lasted half a stroke. Treet Platinum and New Steel worked very well for me though.

Shave Fu likes this.
  20. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

That's the thing, i 've read very good reviews about them (not overly sharp, very smooth) and very bad (slicing, scratching, not good even for 1 shave, etc). So i think i will just go for a tuck, and see later one if i want to buy more.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Linuxguile likes this.