Hehehe, Gillette is suing DSC

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have absolutely no idea how that pertains to copyright infringement and it quite honestly comes across a bit...off.

Nor do I understand the reasoning here. Vote with your wallet.
    A bit confused.

2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Depending on the product line one product is made in the USA or Germany, the other in Vietnam...

3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I am happy that I don't even have to think about this. I came to DE shaving before DSC became popular. I only have Gillette products that are actually older than me.

dscaver and CyanideMetal like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

DSC must be putting a more noticeable dent in Gillette's sales than Dorco itself does. Weird, but I can't figure it any other way, unless it's simply Gillette lawfare to shut down the competition to its own new subscription service, when it likely didn't even notice DSC before. That makes more sense but it'll probably go nowhere; if it's an actual patent issue, Dorco is the one they want, not DSC and a court would say so.

Troy M likes this.
  5. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

If you are implying that Gillette (P&G actually) products are made in the US you may want to check that out. Most likely the blades and carts came from Mexico but could also have come from Poland or elsewhere. I think Dorco is a Korean company but could be Vietnamese, I don't care. The only blades I'm sure are US are Personna.

6. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I only have one razor older than I am, a 1938 Schick. My Gillette DE's are from the '40's and later.

7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

According to an on-line business profile on Gillette:
    "Gillette maintains 64 manufacturing facilities in 27 countries, and its products are sold in more than 200 countries and territories, with more than 60 percent of sales occurring outside the United States."

8. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Not to belabor the Made in the US falsehood; Dorco is So. Korean, my Schick injector blades are from China, the Sensor 3's (only gillette product I have on hand) are from Brazil and my Personna Lab Blues are actually US made. The point of all this is it doesn't matter who built what or where what matters is how good a shave I get and at what cost and my face is the judge, not this or any forum. Shaving is truly a YMMV exercise. Since the days of King Gillette that company has a well known reputation of innovation purely for profit, a classic hookem and gougem operation in my opinion.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The latest generation products have always been made in Boston or Berlin, second line products in Poland, Brazil, and China. Gillette opened a factory in Mexico in 2009 and a factory in Vietnam for regional production in 2015. Dorco made products in South Korea, then cheaper product lines in China, they have now opened a massive factory in Vietnam for all production.

What products ares made in Mexico I am not aware, but products are still made in Boston!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-manufacturing-respect-idUSTRE7BD1WR20111215

10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It is not a falsehood, you are just not as informed as you think you are...

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

What like this? And your assumption is based on what information?

[​IMG]

http://gillette.com/en-us/faq#j

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's getting a little hot and heavy in here! Everyone take a deep breath.

I'd like to remind you all of rule #3

The Golden Rule

3. All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner. All
    members should respect and adhere to the promotion of harmony within the
    community. Do not attempt to disrupt the community in any way.

Thank you
    Kerry

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh Kerry, always the good voice of reason :)

Ryan B, engrsaks and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Perfect timing!

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I love DSC's advertising. I never used DSC for anything, but I would go that route before buying a Fusion or whatever is out now. I have lost track. I'm perfectly content with my Schick Krona and SuperMax Titanium blades along with Personna Labs. However, I did think about getting my dad some DSC stuff since he uses a Mach III and complains about how expensive the refills are, but says he can't use a DE on his neck because of his beard growth pattern being all wild.

16. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Seems like Gillette has a point here

I don't understand the following part in this updated news.

Can you really sue someone for this reason? Members from legal services, please clarify, Thanks :p

17. engrsaks

And here is a news article advising DSC on how to beat this lawsuit. I really don't know what to make of it.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/18/heres-how-dollar-shave-can-beat-gillettes-lawsuit.html

The following paragraph is pretty interesting. MCAM says that DSC might be able to countersue Gillette.

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

They'll say big deal. DSCs customers are buying convenience.

19. engrsaks

I would like to add, many DSC customers love their shave butter too. :)

20. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Before I began wetshaving I considered Harry's and DSC but I am the guy who buys the store brand over name brand. As leaders in the shave industry for 100 years (?) Gillette has always been very protective of their patent rights and have not been shy about going after copycats. This is what a strong company does to keep its edge. I'm sure the lawyers will sort it out.