Hello from NC

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by knorthr, Sep 10, 2018.

1. knorthr

knorthr Active Member

Hey all,

I have been lurking for a while but just got started with a shavette to see if I eventually want to lay down some money for a straight razor. I've only completed two shaves so far but it has been a great experience thus far. This forum is a great resource and I look forward to learning from everyone.

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome aboard

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @knorthr! Plenty of experienced open blade shavers around so don't be shy. This is your own personal thread - ask questions. You're sure to get opinions, advice, even actual information.

I started my own Shave Journey much the same. Bought a not-shave-ready straight and laid it aside for a shavette. After putting in enough time to know I liked it I got back to straights. Shavettes are the least forgiving razors to beginners. For me that thin DE blade and narrow holder allows for nicks due to set down errors. Straights, although appearing more menacing, tend to give easier beard reduction. There's more upkeep dealing with SR's but the coolness factor can balance that out.

If you are looking for a crew of experienced shavette and SR shavers to share daily tips & tricks - visit The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. Read the opening post by Neal @NCoxSTL then jump in for the best shaves you'll ever enjoy. We also have shenanigans.

knorthr and NCoxSTL like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome @knorthr , from Texas. Plenty of Straight Razor shavers here.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD knorthr. Glad to have you with us. Enjoy!

9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den! Great place to learn and find advice. Also a nice group of people... certainly can't forget about that.:signs046:

10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

11. knorthr

knorthr Active Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have committed to the 30 day thread and hope to improve my skills over the course of this month.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome...

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    knorthr likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome @knorthr , from North Cackalacky. I am in Hendersonville. Where are you?
    [​IMG]

16. knorthr

knorthr Active Member

I'm in Raleigh awaiting this hurricane to arrive. I hope we don't get pummeled too bad.

RyX likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @knorthr

I hope you enjoy it here. Good luck with your straight journey. :happy088:

knorthr likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't wait too long. Evacuate as needed. I'm on the South Coast near the Texas/Louisiana line. It's a pain, but gathering up photo albums and shave gear and driving away from shore saves lives. Houses can be rebuilt, later.

19. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Hello from CT.

20. knorthr

knorthr Active Member

Fortunately, Raleigh is 130 miles off the coast so we will be fine. It should be minimal by the time it gets here but there might be some downed trees and flooding. For once, I'm happy to live on the second floor. Definitely going to park in the parking garage to keep the car safe as well.

RyX likes this.