Hello from New York

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by StormyWeather, Jul 14, 2019.

1. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Little new to wet shaving. I started off several months ago as part of a kick on getting healthier. While shaving isn't directly something that has a ton of health benefits to my body, it does a few things for me:

1. It gives me less irritation. I used to shave every two to three days because my beard hairs are thick -- despite not being overly filled in enough to grow a good beard. I would always hate it, and my face would be pretty red afterwards. That was part of the attraction to the soaps, and then the razors, and of course a better aftershave.
    2. It gives me a morning ritual. I don't have a morning commute anymore these days since I've been working from home lately. Taking a few extra minutes to settle into a routine that draws my attention for a period is almost meditative. It steadies the mind in preparation for the day. It grounds me while being a practical chore.

Now, I shave daily. Sometimes every other day, depending on how busy life gets, but mostly daily. It don't like to miss it, and I start to feel cold and shiver in a corner from withdrawal when I can't do it wind up feeling like my day hasn't started if I have to skip. Far less irritation, and I'm finally starting to realize what I can "get away with" as far as angles / aggressiveness.

Looking forward to browsing the forums and contributing where I can. Definitely hoping to improve my technique, find tips on some good vintage gift ideas for my father, and maybe contribute some soap reviews on the local ones I've been acquiring lately. (Just picked up a lime and cypress scented puck from a local seller. Hoping it lathers well.)

2. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome from Maryland

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

As a former New Yorker, welcome to the Den.

4. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee..

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

5. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Working on the former part myself ;)

6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi there! Welcome sir.

8. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ding ding ding! That's that's phrase that pays. Welcome to TSD @StormyWeather. If you are up for a fast paced roller coaster populated with coaches who are also cheer leaders - Stop in and visit with The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. Read that first post in the link, then either read 3200+ other post or jump to the end and dive in. The Veteran Shavers trying out new razors and New Shavers learn vintage gear are all working on Technique. There's also car talk, shop talk, a steady stream of inside jokes and shenanigans. Don't worry about what that guy is doing with a pair of pop sickle sticks and a stapler. That'll happen again, but later!

10. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Me too. Five years and counting.

Welcome to TSD.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Howdy, from Texas.

15. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie....................glad to have you aboard!

16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

17. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Welcome from Arkansas.

18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

20. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

D40B7074-E514-4132-8511-B82576F5984A.png Welcome from New Mexico!!