Hello from Turkey

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Recklesstr, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Hi, guys and gals;

I've been wet shaving for over a decade with catridge shaver and lately I noticed that my beard got thicken. I've used Derby Samurai 3 cartridge shaver for years and now it's unefficient so I decided to change my shaver. Later on I used Gillette Blue 3 but it irritated my neck and got some tiny acnes and decided to buy sth else. That's how I bumped into Double-edge razors on a Turkish local forum. There were tons of user reviews and comments so I made up my mind and went out to buy a DE razor and a pack of Rapira and another pack of Derby blades but as we're in the feast of sacrifice holiday, there weren't many stores opened so I couldn't find a razor with high quality. In short, I bought a Turkish razor Yuma and 2 Chinese razors Tima(nanjie) and Big Roc.
    I could only had a few shaves with DEs and I haven't tried Yuma and Tima yet. Big Roc is a little bit aggressive. In each shave it scratches two or three spots on my face. I haven't used my Derby blades yet but today I'll go and but a pack of Perma-sharp and another pack of Astra blades. I can buy a RiMei or Ming Shi from a military store this week.

Here is a picture of my shaving set. I've divided it into 2 parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1st part is for a swift shave (Derby Super Shaving Foam with Lavender Scent and my old cartridge shavers: Derby Samurai 3 & Gillette Blue 3)
    2nd part is for a slow and relaxing shave (Arko Shaving soap, 3 different DE razors, Rapira&Derby blades,Arko Olive Oil Hands&Face Cream, Irem Brush)
    I also bought a straight razor but I got a minor cut with it then I think I should go definitely with DE :) I'll try to use Yuma, Tima (and If I can find RiMei or Ming Shi) in my next shaves.

Thank you for reading my experiences.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Hello, and welcome to TSD. :signs046:

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Recklesstr.........I hope you enjoy it here....:)

Nice kit you have there...Do you like your shave brush? Where did you get it from? Is it horse hair or boar?
    Be careful not to overtighten the shave head on the Yuma....:)

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here.

5. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you! I'm glad for being here, such a warm community :)
    @178-bplatoon; I bought it from a local store in my hometown. There were no printings on the package except for the brand's name but I believe it's made of horse hair, cause it's cheap and soft. Besides, horse hair is the most common one here, boar is less respected. I liked the brush as it's not synthetic and soft.
    Thank you for your advice, I'll keep it in my mind ;)

6. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Hello and welcome to the Den
    Lots of quality shaving goodies coming from Turkey

Have you tried the Camelot shave stick?

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8. HOUS3Y

HOUS3Y New Member

Hello from a fellow TSD newbie.

9. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Hello and thank you :)
    @Norseman: I've never heard of Camelot Shave stick before. I googled it and figured out that it's a Turkish firm based in Istanbul. Maybe they export their products to other countries or I just didn't noticed the stick. I'll pay more attention when I go to stores. Thanks for the tip :)

@swarden43: Thank you for the heads up ;) When I fulfill the conditions, I'll gladly sign up for the give-away activity.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't wait! Sign up now so you don't forget!!
    I review all entries before entering them into the randomizer, so if you don't qualify at that time...
    At least you will have given it a shot! :D

11. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Okay, I've signed up, let's give a shot :)

12. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Look, what I've found this afternoon! :happy069:
    [​IMG]

BamaT, Daytonkb and Ryan B like this.
  13. Norseman

I've read about it on a Turkish forum. But since google translate is far from fluent in Turkish, I am not too sure about the conclusion. But I am starting to fear it has been discontinued.

Nonetheless, happy to have you with us and hope you will enjoy yourself as a part of this online community

14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Merhaba! Are you military stationed in Turkey or are you Turkish?

15. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

@Norseman: Alright, I also read it and as far as I can tell, this soap has been sold in 2 major cities; Istanbul and Ankara (the capital city). The users have cited that it has an odd, but at the same time has a nice scent which smells like tobacco. The users prefer Arko soap to Chamelot. To sum up their preference, it's in this order; Arko>Derby>Camelot. On page 6, one of the fomula technician replies according to the users' questions and said that they have been formulating it for 2 years and they'll produce it with different scents including tobacco. So, I guess they are still producing it.
    If I bump into this Soap Stick, I'll buy and send it to you with pleasure :)

@BigT: Merhabalar :) No, I'm not a foreigner, I'm a native Turkish citizen.

Norseman likes this.
  16. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Greetings and welcome to the Den.

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to TSD.

18. Norseman

Thank you Sir.
    Even better, if you find an online vendor, give me a notice and I'll order a case of it. I find it to be slightly better than Arko, and a lot better than Derby :)

19. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thanks all of you!
    Sure, Norseman, I'll send a PM whenever I see that soap. If I can find it, I'll also buy one for myself so that I can run a test ;)

Norseman likes this.
  20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046: