Hello, Newbie from Delaware!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Delawhere?, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

Hello, I recently got into DE Safety Razors. I was tired of the high cost of cartridge razor blades as most of us here. Currently I use a Muhle R89 Twist with a Derby blade, I also have Van De Hagan badger brush set that I picked up from my local pharmacy. I use Nivea for men after shave balm for sensitive skin. I made a rookie mistake and tried a Kai blade after only using the razor twice...Ouch, holy sharpness.....gotta get that technique down. I did not cut myself with the Derby blade, so I think I will commit to the 30 day with this current set up. Thanks for having me!

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

RaZorBurn123 and Delawhere? like this.
  3. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

Thanks, I just ordered a sample pack from leesrazors. after I read the 30 day rules I wanted to make sure that it is the right set up. I know I like the Derby, I have some 20 Dorco and 10 Kai blades that were gifts, and the ones in the sample pack which are 10 Astra, 10 Red Personna, 10 Derby, and 10 Feather is there an order I should try them in?

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Out of the blades you list, I have achieved good shaves with Derby, Astra and Personna. The Astra blades (both SP and SS) are quite popular. I would say no need to try feather right now...too sharp and unforgiving for learning. The three I mention are your best bets for learning. Blade preference is highly individual and YMMV greatly. As long as the blade is not causing undue irritation, you are likely good to go!

5. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

Thank you! I will try the three you suggested.

RaZorBurn123 and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Welcome!

RaZorBurn123 and Delawhere? like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs046:To TSD! I look forward to seeing you post in the 30 day rule thread.

Delawhere? likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!

As for order to try them, toss 'em all into a bag, shake, close your eyes, reach in and pick one.
    Seriously, it doesn't matter.

macaronus likes this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome! Give yourself a few weeks and you will be shaving like a pro. The TSD gang will help you out with wildly varying opinions about what blades are best. In the end, your face will let you know what works best.

Delawhere?, TrentRTR and wristwatchb like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hello @Delawhere? and welcome to The Shave Den! You are off to a great start!

Delawhere? likes this.
  11. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Remember, shaving is a very personal thing. The TSD gang will offer their opinions but only you can decide what works best for you. Welcome!

Delawhere? likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD. You're off to a great start. Keep us posted on your progress.

Delawhere? likes this.
  13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Delawhere and welcome to TSD!

And like Steve (Swarden43) said: it doesn't matter in which order you try the blades. Sure, Feather has a reputation for being sharp, but that is what shaving is about: using a sharp blade to whack off your whiskers. Don't be scared, just be careful! Happy Shavings!

welcome.jpg

Delawhere? likes this.
  14. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

Delawhere? likes this.
  15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs046: to the Shave Den. Good to have you with us.

Delawhere? likes this.
  16. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den - the place to be

Delawhere? likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zwelcome2.jpg
    Glad you have joined us. Be sure to Mark YOUR location on the TSD map:) - instructions here.
    Enjoy your stay...

Delawhere? likes this.
  18. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!

Delawhere? likes this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.