Hello to all from Glendale, AZ

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Jim Wurbel, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Jim Wurbel

Jim Wurbel New Member

At 73, a bit late to the program. Came across my grandfather’s straight razors and it brought me back to watching him strop when I was young. I was hooked, but found out soon that there is a steep learning curve. Having the usual problems: nicked strops, rolled edges, tugging, etc. However, not giving up. My wife thinks that I have finally gone over the edge. But that’s another story. Looking forward to the site.
    Best to all!

Jim

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shave Den. Glad you are here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee...

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Jim Wurbel Sounds like you are going to fit right in. ;)

5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Welcome! I'm 72 yrs young myself! While not a straight razor shaver (can't, Parkinsons), there's a host of straight razor shavers here with lots of expertise. You'll be in good hands.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

RyX and brit like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie. You are at home.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, to the "Dark Side of Shaving".

RyX likes this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to TSD!

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Cool, another Jim. Welcome from North Cackalacky. I am 71 soon to be 72, and I have been over the edge for a while. I shave with everything except cartridges. I do straights on Saturdays. You may look into the League of Jims .
    zwelcome1a.jpg

RyX and brit like this.
  11. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Jim,

First off...Welcome from North Carolina.

When the Missus starts to question whether, or not, you're going, or have gone, over the edge, simply remind her of one very important fact.

"It's not nice to question the sanity of the person who asked "HER" to marry them!" Then smile, turn around, and walk away! You might want to walk rather quickly, especially if she has a cast iron frying pan close by, but walk nonetheless!

Seriously, glad to have you! This is a great bunch of folks you will find on here. Not including myself in that, but the rest of them.....

RyX likes this.
  12. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Jim, welcome to The Shave Den! It's never too late. I'm glad you're here with us!

RyX likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you. I lived in Glendale but it was more than 20 years ago.

17. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

welcome from Washington state

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Jim @Jim Wurbel from America's third coast (The Gulf). Glad you joined us.
    You are living proof that it's never too late to enjoy shaving. Having Heirloom shave gear is special. Many of us have gathered our razors and other vintage bits from resale shops or internet auctions. You have history. Happy you have jumped in! The good news is this place is full of folks who enjoy sharing advice, opinions, even actual information. It's up to you to figure out what's which. Please do ask questions - especially right here in your own personal thread. Plenty of folks will help point you in the right direction.
    Yeah, we've all jumped into our own private rabbet holes. There are a few Minimalists but generally they've spent their time (and money) sampling hardware & software to develop their preferences. If you see someone talking about or posting photos of something that piques your curiosity - ask! There's much to learn and we like to teach. You probably have a few thing you could teach us, too.
    ;)

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

20. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :).