Hello

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by moz68, Jul 16, 2010.

1. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I am new to Wet Shaving. Am looking to purchase DE and Brush and soap. Any suggestions on a good beginners DE? I'll read on. I am sure there's a Thread somewhere about this.

Nice to be here and learn more and to get more pointers.

All the Best,

Moz68

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome to the Den!

Here's a great place to start - what to look for in a razor, technique, places to shop. Just some great stuff. Enjoy!!

There's a great bunch of guys and gals here with some great info to share. Come often, stay long, share much!

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome to TSD!
    The link Steve posted is the best place to start.

You'll also want to check out the July Newbie Give-Away. You could win a great selection of products.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great community of guys and gals that enjoy wetshaving. I hope you enjoy your stay! :)

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

7. sffone

sffone Member

Forum member Pauldog sells Feather razors for $6.50. They're great razors. Send Paul a PM (private message) and he'll be more than happy to help. I've purchased several of the razors -- both for myself and for gifts, they're quite good and are comparable to the early three-piece Gillettes.

8. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046

Enjoy your stay here :happy088

9. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Welcome! Always good to see someone else ready to try out traditional shaving.

The link Steve gave is the best place to start here. Just a note about #4 on that list, the one on selecting a DE razor. You've got so many good choices that it can be really hard to pick, but any of the razors mentioned there will do a good job for you. After you've got the technique down, you can always decide to buy one more razor, without developing the collector's fever. If you find yourself buying numbers three and four, though, watch out.:D

11. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

:signs046

12. gman41

gman41 Member

Hello and welcome.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Welcome to The Den!

14. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 Member

Welcome!

15. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Update!!

Decided to go with the Merkur Progress. Hope I didn't get ahead of myself? Also went with Omega 31064 Banded Boar Shaving Brush and Col.Conk Almond shaving soap and Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood Shaving Soap. Which to use first? As for blades I went with Astra, Sharks Stainless and Chrome, Derby's. Any suggestions on which one to use first?

As for now I will keep reading and reviewing Mantics videos. Got my gear from West Coast and can't wait for it to get here!!!

More to come!!! Thanks for all the help and to everyone who welcomed me!!

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

COOL!

1) The one that grabs your nostrils the sweetest.

2) Open up all the packets (leave the blades in their wrappers!) and dump 'em in a big pile. Mix them up. Close your eyes. Pick one.

Yes, I serious about choosing what blade to start with.

17. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

So got my Shave Gear from West Coast Shaving and showered then used Col.Conk Almond with my Omega 31064 Banded Boar Shaving Brush. Need some practice getting the lather up to par. My hand started cramping gotta get used to that and build up my weak hand.
    Lathered and shaved with the grain the 1st pass. Relathered and then shaved across the grain ear to nose. Relathered and shaved with the grain and was satisfied. Nice and smoothe. Some irritation no nicks or cuts. Followed up with Thayers Cucumber/aloe.

Gonna skip a day and get back to it on Monday can't wait!! Any pointers would be appreciated.

18. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Day 4 of Wetshaving. So far it's been a blast!! Had some razor burn in the Left neck area but it's better today and I tried a different angle and it is better not as irritated. So far so good! Really enjoying myself and am glad I am getting the Lather making down!

New Blade tomorrow, I think I'll go with Derby's.

Once again, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

19. Rothbardian

Rothbardian New Member

You should add some Thayer's Medicated SuperHazel for aftershave, IMHO. Or at least any aftershave that suits you. Until I began shaving with a DE, I NEVER even used aftershave. What a difference!

BTW, Welcome!

20. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rothbardian,

I am using an Alum bar and following up with Thayers Cucumber Aloe and Ogallala Bayrum A/S.

The neck is getting better almost gone and the shaves are getting better. I even took a chance and shaved ATG. No nicks!!! I am one Loco Hombre!!

Thanks again and Have a Good'un!!