HELP-Filarmonica 14, can this be restored and polished????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by pocosso, Jan 31, 2023.

1. pocosso

pocosso Active Member

Hi guys,
    I have been offered to buy this two Filarmonica razors, very old, do you think they can be restored and polished without removing the engravings?
    I would buy those two to shave. I like both bu I have no experience in restorations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enrico, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've seen worse get fixed. Calling the expert.

@gssixgun

Edit: You will lose the gold wash during the repair. I have seen this be repaired by taping off the gold washed section, and reapplying gold using an inexpensive gold electroplating pen for about $25 from Amazon. If Glen hasn't added one to his tool chest, now would be a good time for him to do so.

Edit 2: He lives in rural Idaho. He'll make contact in a few days. He doesn't get regular internet service. He isn't ignoring you.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  3. pocosso

pocosso Active Member

Thank You! I will try to contact him after I will receive the Filas! I appreciate your help.

gssixgun, Karl G and Enrico like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've save some gold etching. Use fingernail polish on the gold, and any etching you want to keep. Then carefully polish the razor. Lastly, use acetone to remove the nail polish. It won't hurt the gold. Then use a q-tip with metal polish on it, around the etching. Sometimes some nail polish will slightly discolor the carbon steel blade, but it is easily removed with the metal polish. But, you have to be gentle and precise, the entire time.
    If you haven't restored a razor before, send it to @gssixgun .

gssixgun, Karl G and PLANofMAN like this.