Help identifying Grandfathers razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dusty5150, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

So excited when the mail came today :wave:

My grandfathers razor, is finally MINE! My dad has had this in a ziploc bag since the day my grandfather died almot 20 years ago. It was never cleaned or anything, straight from his den into storage. It was pretty dirty, had a Wilki blade in it, and even some wiskers. When my dad found how 'into' real shaving I'd gotten of the past couple months, he mailed it to me.

I cleaned it all up the best I could so I could use it, and I wanted to confirm it's identity, because one little thing has me confused. From what I can tell, from Mr. Razor's archive, is that it's a '53-'54 Aristocrat Junior w/ rocket style head - Made in England, patent pending, no date. But the box it came in matches that for a Canadian Rocket W2 superspeed.

From Mr. Razor ... this is the razor I think it is.
    [​IMG]
    but this is the box it's in (bottom only). (pic from Mr. Razor)
    [​IMG]

Now, I'm assuming this is not the razors original box, but I wanted to confirm with the experts here at the Den.

Here's some pics of mine ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Mechguy and 5Savages like this.
  2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Can't help ya with the id, but that's one cool D:cool: ad you got there.

3. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

+1
    Can't help you, but what a great thing to have your granddad's razor.

4. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

5. Issac

Issac Member

Looks like you have a 48-50 Gillette Super Speed made in England.

(Edit: i'm an idiot ignore me)

6. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

If the box says Gillette Rocket on it then it probably is the original box. Give it some time and I am sure Jody or Jake will weigh in with the definitive answer.

7. Dusty5150

yeah I'm pretty positive it's not a superspeed; either an Aristocrat Jr. or a Rocket.

8. Issac

Issac Member

I need to read posts more... that might be the right box actually. The 1950 Rocket looked exactly like that.

[​IMG]

9. Dusty5150

could be an earlier Rocket .... I can't tell the difference between the 53-54 Aristocrat Jr. and this Rocket; (again from Mr.Razor)

[​IMG]

In any case .. I'm going to shave with it right now :D

Conrad1959 likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

11. Dusty5150

Thanks guys! The Aristocrat Jr. had me fooled on Mr.Razor's site because it doesn't show the blade tray, doh. Thanks for the link Jody!

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

By the way... congrats on having your grandfather's razor! :eatdrink047:

13. Dusty5150

Thanks! I'm not sure I'll use any of my others now :happy088:

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Think your right with the Gillette Rocket ID. Date I'd say 49 because of the plastic case. I believe the 47 and 48 Gillettes had cardboard cases. (Aristo Jr would have a pat. number.)

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Rocket as well as most of the English Gillette razors were set up to be slightly more aggressive than their U.S. cousins. With that in mind, you will get a little more ummph than you would from the standard mild U.S. Super Speed.

Enjoy!

16. Dusty5150

I noticed right away it was a bit more aggressive than my SuperSpeeds, lotsa feedback from this thing, which is good for me to keep my technique in check.

GDCarrington likes this.