Help identifying Joseph Elliot

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by FHugel, May 7, 2021.

1. FHugel

FHugel New Member

Hey I bought a nice straight razor. On the blade it says Erin’s Pride, below the blade on the tang it says Warranted German
    Hollow Ground. On the box it has 2 c’s within an iron cross, below it says Joseph Elliot’s Hamburg Ring. Looking for a possible date and what it’s worth, there is nothing else written on the blade, scales or box. Thanks for any help guys

Attached Files:

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hey, hey! Welcome to the Den!
    I'm short on info for that straight, but maybe one of the mods could move this to the straight razor forum where I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I can help you.

Karl G likes this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :)

Boxes are often mixed up with different razors so it cannot be relied on to identify the razor. Is there anything on the reverse side of the tang?

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. FHugel

FHugel New Member

Nope nothing else on the blade just what’s on the 1 side

Karl G likes this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The razor appears to have a considerable amount of hone wear, and a slight frown. Fix the edge and shave with it. I don't see any value in the razor other than a daily driver.

Karl G likes this.
  6. FHugel

FHugel New Member

What’s a frown?, and any tips on sharpening it, it’s not sharp enough to shave with as it is. I have a whetstone that I use for my knives can I use that or do I need something specific?

Karl G likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

There is considerable spine wear. A couple of layers of tape should correct the bevel angle. Usually, hones for knifes are not high enough grit for razors. There could be a very very slight frown, but not enough to worry about.
    A frown is were there is more wear in the middle of the blade, causing a frown. A Smiling blade has more wear to the heal and toe areas. Better to have a Smiling razor, than a Frowning one. The smiling razors are easier to shave with, comfortably.

Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And shaving sharp on a knife is no where near shaving sharp enough for a straight razor. Best to watch some tutorials and ask lots of questions.

Steve56 and Karl G like this.