Help me pick my travel razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by feeltheburn, Oct 16, 2022.

?

What razor should I take on my 3-week work trip?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2022.
  1. Fatip Piccolo

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Feather ASD2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Merkur open comb travel razor

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'm going on a work trip and will be gone a few weeks. When I go on these trips, I like to take a razor I haven't spent much time with, usually because it's not one of my favorites. Often I find by spending an extended period with it, I learn to like it more and find it can work fine. The rest of my setup for the trip will be a Wilkinson Sword stick, 2-band badger brush, and Wilkinson Sword blades (mostly since they're already open and they have a dispenser I can put used blades into.) So here are the razors I'm thinking about taking and I'll see what you guys think. It's definitely going to be a 3-piece razor since I think they're a little less prone to getting damaged when disassembled and packed away in a suitcase that's going to get thrown around a lot.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

sorry friend.haven't tried any of those.but the wilkie blades are good.:):eatdrink047:

Frank Shaves and feeltheburn like this.
  3. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I travel quite a bit. When I’m checking a bag, my go-to is either the Rockwell 6S or Merkur Progress for adjustability.

If it’s a short trip, maybe an EJ DE89, Gillette SS, Schick Krona or I2.

For a carry-on situation, I go with the Gillette Guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Presuming you only put razors on the list that you can use effectively, I'll also presume that you can get an equally good shave out of any of them. Quality of shave being equal, I voted for the Fatip Piccolo. Not being intimately familiar with any of the razors, I had to look 'em up online. The Fatip Piccolo appeared to be the cheapest, so that one would be the least painful to lose (should your luggage get lost), and least expensive to replace. Unless, of course, that's the razor your Great Uncle Herbert gave you when you were 16, so you could shave before taking Betty Jo to the movies back in 1950, when the company first began making razors... or some such sentimental thing. I don't travel with anything sentimental, except my wife... occasionally.
    :)
    - Bax

5. feeltheburn

Looks like the poll is tied between the Fatip and Merkur. Maybe I'll take both :). I guess I could have a backup. It would give me a little variety. The Fatip is a little aggressive. The Merkur is not. It's sort of like the Feather in that it leaves me with 5 o'clock shadow at noon. But if the Fatip gets a little irritating at any point I could fall back to the mild razor if I need to.

I'm a little surprised there's no love at all for the Feather. It's not a razor I use much just because I like a closer shave than it usually gives me. I'm not too worried about losing it. It'll be a car trip so I'll have my suitcase in the trunk and I can usually be trusted not to leave expensive stuff in my hotel room.

6. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

7. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I have been spending time the past week with my Feather AS-D2, getting reacquainted, so I appreciate your goal for your travel shaves. Using the same razor every day is a way to become familiar with it, and I get better results that way. Having so many razors and switching every day or two means constantly having to relearn.

That said, I am of the travel light and cheap school. I recently was away for a week on a car vacation, and I took a Gillette Guard razor, a small container of Kiss My Face cream and a PAA synthetic brush. I got great results and appreciated the time with one setup.

jwr3265, Frank Shaves and feeltheburn like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Honestly, I would not take anything expensive or hard to replace. I have lost and had items stolen while traveling and normally carry a banged up tech or 3 piece that packs down small.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I would be more concerned about losing a favorite brush than a razor. But that is just my opinion.

I have traveled by air with a loaded injector razor in a carry on bag and have not had any issues with TSA.

10. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

Frank Shaves and Enrico like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Well if you like variety and like vintage.. here is one example of what i do when i go on vacation or travel for work both of which i do frequently.

[​IMG]

Pick a handle or 2
    pick a head or two.
    Use an old shave stick tube or even an old pill bottle.
    [​IMG]

Grab a couple of different blades and drop it all in the tube . I usually wrap each head with a little bit of tissue and stuff the excess so it doesnt rattle.

[​IMG]

All in a nice little package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorgo2, brit, Frank Shaves and 2 others like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm a fan of vintage, bakelite and slants ..... how about one that honors all three ..... The Phantom Blue

:cool:

13. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

I found out that the vendor in the link is basically in the same area where I live so I may get one too. I don't need a "travel razor" but I too like the look of it.

Enrico likes this.
  14. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Fatip Piccolo!

I use mine almost daily for weeks at a time. Relatively cheap and a great shave with good blades.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been using one of these for the past three months

16. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

I hate to appear the "odd Ball" but when traveling for business or pleasure I've always carried a disposable. I have in my Dopp a Gillette Sensor. One cartridge left in reserve. I love this razor. Metal handle, substantial used it for years, until the cartridge were too costly. Then switch to plastic disposables. I was in a Rite-Aid drug store recently and saw a 10 pack of Sensor cartridges for $40. (Yes that is no mistake $40)
    My DE razors are mostly vintage Gillettes, with a few new. I really don't want to lose any to the airlines.

17. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Multiblade cartridge prices are verging on the obscene IMHO. I guess if an ~$8 coffee every morning on the drive into work is your thing, a $4~$5 cartridge isn't unreasonable like buying a Tesla or Ford Lightning pickup for the average person.

Good disposables run me ~$1.50 or more in a multi-pack for a triple-bladed version. They certainly work pretty well but, I have mixed feelings about the waste and the cost. The five-blade version work much better but, the heads are enormous shaving around my nose or creases on my face is difficult at best. Great for a single pass on the cheeks and neck though!

With an Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor being ~$25 on Amazon with a tuck of blades, I have an issue with paying $10 or more for a 3-pack of good disposables. Putting a ~$3 disposable in a carry-on bag for the TSA gauntlet though has some merit.

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. feeltheburn

A Trac II isn't a bad choice when you can't take a DE. I just got back from a short trip where I could only take a carry on bag. I took my Bump Fighter handle which takes Trac II blades and a Personna cart. The shaves are close and pretty comfortable. Nothing to complain about really and the Personna carts aren't much more expensive than DE blades.

PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  20. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I just took a trip with a small Braun electric razor powered by two AA batteries. I didn't want any of my vintage gillettes to be seized by TSA I knew I wouldn't have time for a wet shave anyway. Compared to a blade, the little battery powered electric razor did a terrible job. But it was adequate. I was glad to be home and back to my shave den where I had all of the foams, creams, blades, razors, and magical potions that made me smile again!
    - Bax

Lancre and Enrico like this.