Help me tell the difference

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by IsaacRN, Aug 4, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

IM looking to possibly get a blade made by Robert Williams. I know i want a bigger butcher style of blade with a notch point. I have a 5/8 now..but...i dont know what that means really.

Heres the question

What does 5/8..6/8..7/8..9/8 actually mean..is there a way to see pics of them all.

Im also wondering about the different styles of points. THere are French/Spanish/Round/Square.....pics would be reat as well on that. I know i want a Notch point cause it looks cool.

Lastly I know there is Hallow and Wedge Grinds and i know what that is, but what is the advantage and disadvantage of each and are there more than just those 2?

CHeers!!!!

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Issac, check out Chapter 2 of Dr. Moss's Guide to Straight Razor Shaving (see the sticky in the straight razor thread.) He shows pictures of the different points and explains the advantages of the grinds and what is good about each. :)

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

i just came across that but not all the points are there.

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

You mean all the different razor points, or all the points you wanted to know about? :D

Okay, check this out!

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I was just giving a brief list.but i guess most of them are there....no notched point though :p

Im more interested in this moment at Razor Sizes. I want a meat chopper....and im gonna have a Razor made by Robert Williams. I dont know if i should go with 7/8 or 8/8. I dont want to go to big..but i i want a noticable differeance than a 5/8. Something like i see with Wade and Butchers on the net.

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I have a Wade & Butcher 7/8 notch point. I love it. It was hard to hone at first, but it keeps a good edge, and they're nice and heavy, so they shave great with little pressure.

Believe me...you'll definitely be able to tell the difference between a 7/8 or 8/8 or more and your 5/8.

[​IMG]

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Excuse my French....but that is a Kick Ass Blade. I really want a Wade and Butcher Notch. IM gonna have Robert make me a 7/8 i suppose. You dont have any for sale do you :)

One day im gonna take the full plunge and learn to Hone.

8. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Hey there Isaac, I'm probably raising something you've already considered, but FWIW...wouldn't you want to try a few different sizes, grinds, points, etc. before dropping the $$ for a custom blade? Of course, there's nothing wrong with jumping right in...:bounce015

I've gone back and forth a few times over the past year as to what I "like" in size and grind and I expect it to change again. Just a thought.

There is definitely a difference in a 5/8 and 7/8. Even within the same size and grind, some razors are heavier and have a more robust build than others. Its one of those personal preference things - like after shave or brushes.

Jordan

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Yeah ive been shopping on the Internet.and i can get some nice 7/8 Henckels for 150-180. I dont really restore razors..or do honing so..im gonna have to dish out some money. Times like this i wish i made alot more money :p

10. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I know what you mean. I've been dying for a 5/8 and or 6/8 Friodur and I had to pass a couple of them up because I've spent too much over the past few months.

I don't restore either, but you can find good razors for less than $100 or so. Either in the BST Forums or from some vendors like Vintage blades. I've gotten some of my best shavers from Bill for reasonable prices. I think he said he should have some up soon. You can also buy a cheaper one on ebay and pay one of the pros to restore it for you. Anyway, have fun :D

Jordan

11. xChris

xChris Member

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Excellent Post.and thank you.....let me ask you something.

WOuld you purchase a

7/8 Henckels Friodur Round Point or a Filarmonic Doble Temple 7/8.

I can get either or for 120 shipped and honed. They both have plastic scales, but for that price i guess you make sacrifices. What would be the better blade?

13. jnich67

jnich67 Member

That's a tough one. I have them both in that size. The friodur is a really sweet razor (just shaved with mine:)) but I also get super smooth shaves from the Filly. Both have been relatively difficult to hone for me, but once there....

I do think the Friodur is more indicative of a bigger razor. I find the Filly feels "lighter" and has a more flexible blade than most of my other 7/8s. Others might disagree, but that's my experience at this point.

I guess I'd go with the Friodur - especially at that price.

Jordan

14. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I know that it would be Lynn that would hone the Filarmonic.......not sure who would hone the Friodur, it just has an option to have someone hone it for 20. Im kinda torn.....dont know what to do...i wanna see alot of opinions. :)

15. xChris

xChris Member

Well, the obligatory answer is "Get them both!"

OK -- OK -- so that may not be feasible. Either one will be nice, and both are no longer in production. So, it really depends on which you want. While I have a Filly, I do not have a Friodur -- YET. Personally, I'd get the Friodur in 8/8 anyway.

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I think what im gonna end up doing is going with the Filly. Lynn will be honing it. THe website that has the Friodur isnt NOS. They are Friodur blanks that are made into the razor. I think that at my young age in straight shaving, that it would be better to just go with something more controlled like the Filly. Any other thoughts?

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Well, I have shaved with one Chris's Filly and it is a beauty. I think you are a good candidate to try the SR Trial sample package from Chris. This will give you a good idea of what to expect from a blade in a specific size you want. A Williams blade is serious $$$$$$ so I would be really sure before I pull the trigger on that one.

Raf

18. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I pulled the trigger today and bought the Filly. I think the Trial Sample package that Chris has is better for people that havent ever used a straight. I dont want to take away from their first experiences. I think i should recieve my new blade in about 2 weeks i would think. Im looking for a Wade and Butcher notch point out there.so if you come across one....throw me a PM.