Help redness on throat area

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Kyhunter, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

guys, I'm getting a red line of bumps around my throat, it also makes it difficult to shave some days. It's probably irritation but how do I help it.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Razor-induced skin irritation....

1. Stop shaving the area until it heals.
    2. When you start shaving the area again, tread lightly and with minimal razor strokes. Do not shave against-the-grain.
    3. Be sure to do good pre-shave prep (wash & soak area with warm/hot water; some apply a pre-shave oil, use a good lubricating lather.
    4. Apply a good skin cream or balm post-shave to promote healing.

If you are new to wet-shaving, the irritation may be simply your skin adjusting to the blade. It also could be your technique which is promoting the redness.

trey06dmd, Tattoobob, BigMark and 2 others like this.
  3. Micah Jenkins

Micah Jenkins Active Member

Would you recommend any specific products to help?

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

witch hazel splashed on liberally.
    and leave the area alone till healed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Aloe Vera might be worth trying as well. Calendula ointment is another possible option.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Tattoobob and Spud like this.
  6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Shea moisture shave has an AS and balm that I find very helpful.

7. Micah Jenkins

Awesome! Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully this will help.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Pre-shave oil is another product that could be worth a try. (See Tutorial forum for an easy, inexpensive recipe.) Also, regarding the advice about not shaving against the grain- do you know the direction of the grain of your neck hairs? When your skin is healed & before you shave, that a good look, to determine it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Bristle Me likes this.
  9. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

under the neck is tricky. the mantra of "no pressure" is hard to maintain if you flip your razor upside down under your jaw or chin. I mean, if you apply no pressure it falls away from your face right? Unless you contort yourself like mad. So you have to tread very lightly down there. I only do with the grain on my neck. I will do a couple of passes but never anything but with. I still get pretty smooth that way and it is comfortable. BBS is not worth it if the skin ends up red and inflamed. For product, I like the Nivea sensitive balm and I recently picked up a L'Occitane balm that I am enjoying so far. For a cheap alternative to carry wherever, I like Everyman Jack post shave lotion too. It is really just a decent face lotion with some minor soothing elements and a nice mint kick. Being as subtle as it is I can apply it often if needed.

10. Micah Jenkins

Awesome, I'll give that a shot. I picked up two pre-shave oils the other day, Somerset and King of Shave. I am using Somerset now, and I really cant tell much of difference compared to without. Maybe I just need to apply more, I only use about 5 drops per shave.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You don't need tons, but a bit more oil would be a good idea. Use an amount tht is about the size of a dime, in your hand.

12. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Is that redness BLOOD? :)

David Green likes this.
  13. David Green

David Green Active Member

I find the Nivea for Men Aftershave Balm works quite well for my neck, even when I was using the cartridges.

trey06dmd likes this.
  14. Micah Jenkins

I used a bit more the last couple shaves, and it seems to help quite a bit. I'll have to pick up some Nivea next shopping excursion. Currently I am using Men's Vaseline face and body lotion. It is significantly better than nothing, but I wouldn't say it's great.

15. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

Nivea was on sale at riteaid and buy one, get one 50% off at walgreens . Those sales may have ended today though. Some Kroger have the sensitive balm on clearance for about $4 too.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

17. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

Shaving against the grain is quite possibly the most frequent cause of irritation and inflammation.
    Knowing for sure what is ATG and avoiding it will likely help greatly.
    For most of us, it takes some doing to focus on razor control and not press too hard.
    After you've healed, slow down when shaving the neck, and try to use just enough pressure
    for the razor to make contact with the skin. It's also possible that your choice of soap or crème
    is contributing to the irritation. It may be worthwhile to change your soap for a week or so and see if that helps.

18. Sal

Sal Member

Witch hazel works wonders for me.

19. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

This might not apply to you but I solved my irritation problems in that area just by a better lather

IDuck likes this.
  20. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I think @HollyRollah has covered all the main points. I would add to his list the use of witch hazel which is very soothing and has healing properties. Use it post shave.