Help repairing my Personna DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by riffin, Jul 7, 2008.

1. riffin

riffin Active Member

I have a Personna Precision adjustable DE. It has developed crack around the joint between the top plate and the center shaft. This is a great shaver and I'd really like to rescue it. I was considering a putty epoxy, but there may not be enough room between the center hole on the blade and the shaft. Other very good suggestions were to try Loctite Green (penatrating), or take it to a jewelry maker for welding. Any other thoughts or idea would be most apreciated. Here are come pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The crack from two slightly different angles

[​IMG]
    This shows the gap between a blade's center hole and the shaft.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

ah... Does it wiggle at all? It is possible that it is just spot welded and that is normal. One thing you could try is putting JB Weld or epoxy in a syringe and injecting it in to the crack. If it does not wiggle, I would probably continue using it as is.

3. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yeah it wiggles. That's how I noticed it. JB Weld is a putty consistency, right? Regular epoxy might be thin enough to get into syringe.

Whatever I use, I was thinking I'd drill a hole in a block of wood that the handle would fit into to keep it stable when I clamp it. It would have to be just ever so slightly shorter than the handle so the clamp would still put pressure. Sorry, I didn't mean the handle, but rather the shaft.

Thanks Rodd!

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

JB weld is a thick epoxy and you wont be getting that into a small enough syringe. I would suggest soldering it. I mean the razors brass isnt it? You can probably buy an electric solder gun and some copper wire at radio shack. Its pretty easy and would probably cost less than bringing it to a jewler.

5. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

I just used JB Weld (the regular kind, not the newer, faster type), and it seemed fairly thin to me.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Hmmm.... Did you give the epoxy a chance to set up before applying. I always wait a minute after mixing for the reaction to fully occur between the two parts. Always winds up pretty thick for me.

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I was thinking a syringe like you use to give an infant medicine... (don't ask why I was thinking this, I do have a 6 week old baby!) I think that it will be thick, but not too thick to use with this. I have never had any luck using solder to bond two pieces of metal without extensive preparation, and even then it is not made to take pressure.

8. riffin

riffin Active Member

I still haven't tried anything yet. One thought I had was to take it an art school that has jewelry making.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

worth a try for sure, if you have something like that in the area.

10. tjgriffin,

It looks like you might have to get a new DE razor. It looks like this one is heading to a "box display"! :).

I have never seen something like this before. But since it looks like is metal, it might not be repairable.

Good Luck!

Dark

11. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

What I mean is that the two parts of the epoxy are fairly thin when they're separate. Naturally, the mixture gets thicker once it's mixed and sits for a while. It might be thin enough for a syringe when it's first mixed. It can do its setting after it's been applied.

I had very good luck with this stuff recently in repairing the electric window switches in my car. Some plastic parts had weakened, and a lot of searching hadn't turned up anything besides a complete replacement of the switch unit, which would have cost quite a bit.