Help:- So many different types of slant razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Nov 12, 2016.

1. blankd

blankd New Member

I'm liking my iKon ShaveCraft 102 Slant. Shaves really smooth. the iKon B1 Slant DLC is good too, but a little more blade feel on the skin. All the Hoffritz or Merkur slants are pretty much the same except for the handle. I'd call them middle of the road. I also have a bakelite fasan slant razor. Decent but a little on the aggressive side. Shaves much better than you would think for a plastic razor. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has a similar new bakelite slant for about $20. Review on the Sharpologist mirrors my take on the fasan. Haven't tried it myself, but for 20 bucks it looks like a deal.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

In have the Ikon 102 with an OSS handle and the Merkur 39c. Both are fairly heavy razors, hence the 39c is called The Sledgehammer. The 39c twists the blade like most slants. The Ikon keeps the blade straight, but the head is tilted. I find both of them incredibly efficient and smooth. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

HERM

Tdmsu and SpeedyPC like this.
  3. Herm2502

Oh you guys are no fun. Slants "feel" and look cool.

HERM

DaltonGang likes this.
  4. Herm2502

What I learned was to place the top of the razor against your skin, handle sticking out at 90°. Then tilt the handle down just until you feel the blade. Stop. That's the perfect angle.

HERM

SpeedyPC likes this.
  5. 37c and love it

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Me, no fun? I told him to buy the one that looks the coolest.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  7. Herm2502

Oh, OK. That's the best advice of all!

HERM

8. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I would love a Hoffritz, of New York, slant-NOS in my dreams :)

9. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@dangermouse what are you waiting for go and get it, get out there and buy it that way you can stop dreaming about it :p

dangermouse likes this.
  10. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

I started my Slant Madness with the Wunderbar, which unseated my Game Changer .84 as my favorite mid-aggressive, smooth. Tried the Maggard Slant head for kicks, found it not as smooth as the wunderbar.

I then picked up the Windrose humpback, which is, while not as forgiving as the wunderbar, is much more efficient. It's my absolute favorite Slant. Anxiously awaiting the release of the blackland slant.
    Maggard Slant on Grizzly Bay Timeless Walnut, Windrose humpback Slant on G2, Razorock Wunderbar on Barbaros Levend Handle P
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Tdmsu, SpeedyPC, brit and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Wow, I've never even heard of the Windrose!
    I love the 39c and the Maggard Slant.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I know you wrote this a long time ago, but I thought I'd avail myself of the availiblity to ask.......you OK? Haven't seen you in YO or anywhere of late.

Herm2502 likes this.
  13. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Definitely worth picking up if you like an aggressive/efficient slant, Found on Etsy & The Bay, believe same seller.

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. Herm2502

I'm still here...lurking in the background.

Herm

Paul Turner likes this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Parker Semi-Slant
    New, nice, inexpensive.
    tp

Herm2502 likes this.