Help Wanted: In Search of my first Badger Knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mousecop, Nov 4, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

24mm i think, and i got the brush intact , jayaruh built the handle and set it , he would know. jr #282..will post a pic when i get home,

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Hello all. Here is the final product. Maggard 28mm 2band knot. The handle is from shave forge and it's beautiful. Not sure if I glued the knot in straight/correctly though. So please lmk if you see any issues. The knot looks like it is leaning towards one side to me but that could also just be my perception of the bands in the hair. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Good looking brush. Hope you enjoy it!

Douglas Carey and mousecop like this.
  4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

The brush looks great. Just use it and enjoy.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Wow, looks really nice! Great job!!! Let us know how you like it.

6. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Will do! Going to use it either today or tomorrow. Need to give the epoxy time to fully set.

dmshaver likes this.
  7. MntnMan62

48 hours and you should be good to go. Just don't submit to temptation and constantly pick it up and play with it until it fully sets. I did that with my last brush and the first time around the knot came off while I was shaving. When I looked at the epoxy pattern on the bottom, my playing with it caused the knot to rise up and away from the bottom of the knot hole and was only being held in by a few strings of epoxy. I had to lightly file away the dried epoxy and do it over again. This time I set it and forget it. Didn't touch it until about 36 hours had passed. If you only set it yesterday, shave with it tomorrow. Today might be too soon. It also depends on what kind of epoxy you used. There is the quick set kind that sets in no time. That really is a beautiful brush.

8. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

I used Loctite 5 Minute epoxy. The box said the epoxy is user ready after 20 minutes. Total cure time is 24 hours. I let it sit for about 30 hours or so I I believe I was okay in using it tonight!

I am actually very very pleased with the knot and the handle as well. The handle is a great size and very ergonomic. The knot itself impressed me quite a bit. It is a 28mm and holds a crazy amount of water and is a monster compared to my 24mm and even 26mm brushes. It is also crazy soft. As my first badger, I was expecting it to be a bit scritchy or at least not as soft as my synthetics. This thing is just as soft as my razorock plissoft just way denser and more backbone which adds just a tad of scrub (which I liked!). The only problem I had was lather release. I've read bigger knots are almost always lather hogs. To remedy that, I read adding more water and product would help, so I will have to experiment with that in the coming shaves. But overall, I might end up buying another Maggard's 2band in a smaller knot!

MntnMan62 likes this.
  9. MntnMan62

I think you waited plenty of time and I'm glad you enjoyed using your new massive brush. While using more product and water is an answer, don't forget that you can release that lather with your brush technique by scrunching the lather out of the knot right on your face. I do it by twisting the knot while it's against my face and that tends to release some of the lather allowing me to paint it on. Enjoy. That's one handsome brush.

mousecop likes this.
  10. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Thanks! And that's actually what I ended up doing. Just squeezed it out and painted it onto my face.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MntnMan62 likes this.