Help! - What Do I have? NEW Gillette Identification

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by texbilly, Apr 29, 2009.

1. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Just snagged this off ebay (it's on the way) but am perplexed. Handle looks like a 1930's NEW Somerset, Bostonian, Norfolk but the underside of the blade guard does not have the middle ridge I've seen on these models. Were there variants, or did I buy a hybrid? :confused:

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      81.3 KB
      Views:
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

kinda looks like a OLD style head on a bar handle... but I am not a DE guy.

3. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Yep. looks that way from here too.

4. texbilly

texbilly New Member

So that makes it twice as valuable, right? ;)

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup tag on a extra 40 for a unique razor.:D

6. MsBlackwolf

Oh at least!

But seriously, that's a New bar handle with an Old style head screwed on it. It'll work just fine and the Old style heads shave close. Just make sure it all screws together tight and it'll shave all day for ya.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

:happy088

Yup..... I agree with MsB and WCHNU, NEW bar handle on Old style head.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Any updates oh how this thing shaved?

9. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Now I have it...

Razor was in today's mail so have not yet given it a spin. Did give it a quick clean and polish - looks pretty cool! The copper color on the lower part of the handle is interesting. If total gold plate loss, shouldn't it be brass like the rest? Am I missing a material spec indicative of this generation? Still looks great in my opinion. Shaving evaluation to come...

Attached Files:

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Cool.. I love the shave from my Ball tipped OLDS.

11. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Great, close shaver...but show it respect!

I realized when I decided to shave with the razor I was venturing into new territory. Until now, my DE shaving has been Merkur models for years and most recently Gillette Super Speeds in several varieties. So, I made a conscious effort to take it slow with this old veteran so I can feel the razor's cutting style. I loaded a new 7 a.m. Platinum SS blade (experimenting with alternate blades is my next quest), whipped up Tabac Original soap and dove in.

WOW! This is a serious shaver. Surprisingly, the first thing I noticed was the sound it makes. There is never any doubt when the razor is at work and the audible feedback is very satisfying. This razor commands a close watch and in no way could I just rip through my beard like I can with say my late '50s Super Speeds. The benefit of this care is a very close shave. Did I mention it shaves close? I have not tried SE shaving, but somehow this SOUNDS and feels like the next best thing. I have a fairly heavy/coarse beard and require 3 passes + cleanup with just about all my razors. After two passes (WTG, XTG) with this Old Head/New Handle hybrid, I was feeling good and only required a little cleanup to finish. Side benefit: the low profile blade/head does a great job of cutting sharp sideburns. :cool: This process did require more time and I was certainly taking it slow, but if I continue to use good techniques and show the respect it deserves, this is some kind of shave. No nicks, by the way.

OK, I'm probably telling some of you what you already know. For me, this was a revelation and frankly opens doors: why limit the OLDs to collecting? Now I know. ;)

12. MsBlackwolf

I use Olds, News and SE. Love them all. Super Speeds don't get it done for me.

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

+1 The only TTOs I like are the heavier adjustables....

and if you keep at it like you did tonight, in time you'll find yourself getting quicker with it as your skills increase....Congrats on the great shave!

14. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Thanks! As much as I love the Super Speeds, I agree on the limited shaving value of standard models. From a pure shaving standpoint, only the Red Tip, Fatboy and Rockets (especailly my HD Rocket) do it well. If I'm in between shaves and need to clean up, the light weight versions are OK.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have noted before that SE folks seem to like the OC DE's . Now when you get the chance give a 1912 or something similar a run. The sound from a SE is even better to me, and I find they shave close with less work.

glad you enjoyed that thing.

16. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Gents,

Any personal recommendations on blades? As I mentioned, this is my next project and I figure my shaving will be that much better (and it's good now) by upgrading from the 7 am's I'm currently using. Also realize the forum is full of ideas but thought ya'll might have an opinion relative to Old styles.

:D

17. MsBlackwolf

I prefer the Astra Superior Platinum blades. Sharp and smooth.

18. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I recommend you try as many as you can....look at getting a sampler pack or something....

Or, buy these separately:

Gillette 7 O'Clock: Perma Sharp (green), Sharp Edge (yellow), Super Platinum (black)
    Astra Superior Platinum
    Feather
    Kai