Help with Mitchell's Wool Fat

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SDK, Apr 15, 2014.

1. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I picked up a few premium items based on TSD user reviews and am ready for an epic shave tonight!

I purchased the MWF in the ceramic bowl. The puck is of smaller diameter and tall compared to the bowl. What would be the best way to get the puck warmed up and formed to the bowl correctly? I don't want to ruin the soap by overheating it....

I would also be interested in any lathering tips. The puck seems very hard compared to brands I have used so far. Will be using a Semogue 1305 and bowl lathering...

[​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

You do not want to melt this soap. What you want to do is fill the bowl up with water and let it sit overnight. The soap will absorb most of the water and swell to the diameter of the bowl. It will be locked in the bowl tight. Doing this will make it easier to get a good lather out of the soap later when you use it.

Boojum1, jeraldgordon and SDK like this.
  3. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Despite its reputation, I've found MWF to be the easiest lathering soap I've used. Just load plenty, more than you think, and then go to your face. I'm sure a bowl works, too, but face lathering is what I've done and had success with.

It's really great stuff!

fram773, Tdmsu, Paulie and 2 others like this.
  4. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks guys! I got some water in before I went back to the office, and will wait until tomorrow night to try it.

5. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Take the MWF puck in one hand.
    Use other hand to put bowl away.
    Rub the puck over your face.
    Take your brush, smile and there you go.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!! You can do this with Any soap too.

SDK likes this.
  7. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Lol! I found out early on that I am not a face latherer. Don't like all the facial stimulation beyond just applying briskly.

The odd thing is it annoys me psychologically more than on my skin. Too much touching on my face and I get irritable if you can believe it lol....

8. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Well, when we are talking shaving I can't get enough 'facial stimulation'. It's the part I like most :)

SDK likes this.
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I would love to get a before and after shot of the puck in the bowl to see how the puck expands if its not to late (I know I'm not gonna see the process, but I'll see the results)

10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I am already back at work and it will have been soaking for hours by the time I get home. I will get you an after shot with lather.

I can hardly wait until tomorrow night, but will at least get to try the Kramperts Bay Rum tonight....

11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

ahh... time difference and stuff =P

SDK likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I place the puck to be soaked in a sealable container.
    First, add a puck, pour in a tsp or so of water, put the cap on, give it a few shakes and next day = an expanded, soft puck ready to yield mounds of lush lather.

See below a 'soaked' foamy puck of MWF in the container. I've done the same with other stubborn pucks. Stirling works well this way, too.
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, SDK and Hanzo like this.
  13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

The Fat doesn't have the best reputation as a bowl lathering soap. I recommend face lathering with this product and if you do this enough you'll cure your heebie-jeebies about touching your face.;)

SDK and Hanzo like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very informative article, Hanzo. Thanks for the link!

So the secret to MWF is indeed from the sheep's wool fat (i.e. the sebum excreted from the sheep's exocrine glands that help lubricate and waterproof the skin & wool.)
    Kind of disgusting when one ponders upon it too long, but hey, anything for a close shave! ;)

Care for a smear across your face?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BigMark, Paulie, jeraldgordon and 4 others like this.
  16. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks for all the tips everyone, and the article link.

Reading that blog, it seems like I have a new soap and a third child lol. I will try not to get my puck too upset this summer. I was thinking this was primarily going to be a winter soap.

17. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Not sure if it's the picture, or the term "sebum" that is disturbing me the most.

18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

This happens when you finally dial it in.

[​IMG]

Chaddy187, Hodge, Bristle Me and 5 others like this.
  19. SDK

SDK it's his fault

This is how my face feels right now!

Omelmad and Kilgore Trout like this.
  20. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

But what happens when the soap dries? Does it shrink? Grating and packing in to the container has worked for me. Thanks!