Help with Mitchell's Wool Fat

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SDK, Apr 15, 2014.

1. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I got the puck all set up. It did not quite expand tightly, but a little help with my fingers got it locked in nicely. Omelmad your requested pic is below.

It lathered up in a bowl with no issues. This soap feels great on your face in a way that is different than other soaps and creams. I'm guessing that it's the copious amounts of natural lanolin. Had a slick and cushioned shave that can only be described as luxurious.

It was interesting that the MWF really shined for me about a half hour "after" the shave. I noticed that my face felt great, and the soap left a subtle, but noticeable protective layer of lanolin on my skin.

This is a really high quality product and I can see why so many swear by it. I only wish I found MWF before this last winter. It would have saved me a ton of discomfort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Looks good to me!:happy036:

SDK likes this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Let it dry out and it will crack and split in to chunks.

4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

:signs011:
    It's best to keep it hydrated. I have it in a covered container and if it's shrinking I just add water. If you use it regularly it shouldn't dry out, but it will dry out faster in an open container.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Grate it into a stick!

wristwatchb, Omelmad and ajdhn like this.
  6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Looks good =) thank you for picture. I'm glad you enjoy it

SDK likes this.
  7. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

It stays the same size. I keep mine in a Tupperware type container to reduce the evaporation.

8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I should be good to go as far as keeping it hydrated. I can't imagine this soap not being in my weekly rotation. I'm also fairly certain that this will be my "go to" lather as soon as the heat goes on this fall.

I'm going to grab a refill puck the next time I order supplies, just so I don't get caught without.

RaZorBurn123 and Omelmad like this.
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Is it that good?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Yes!

In my short time doing this I have tried a lot of different products.

MWF is right up there with the best I've used in terms of shave quality.

It's in uncharted territory for skincare. This morning my face still feels more protected and healthy than it ever has....

SRNewb, Omelmad and Chuck F like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

MWF has quite a loyal following of 'MWFatheads' who can't seem to get enough of the stuff. I know this because I've been part of this peculiar group for some time. I have branched out and use an assortment of shave soap nowadays—and although MWF may no longer my absolute 'favorite,' it still is an exceptional shave soap with many of the fine qualities outline by Scott in this thread.

[​IMG]

SRNewb, Tdmsu, Omelmad and 1 other person like this.
  12. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Just to update:

My brush seems to have finally hit a point where I can face lather now without it irritating me. I have been doing it for five days in a row and it just keeps getting better.

Not dealing with the extra time and hassle of bowl lathering is especially appreciated on weekdays !

13. redbeard

redbeard Member

Oh my... That lather is insane!! And is your bowl a cereal bowl from target? That's what I use and it looks very similar. I love it but wish it had some kind of texture inside.

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I liked MWF when I had it, but I spent a lot of time getting the lather just right. I sold it and kind of regret not giving it more chances.

15. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Sorry for the slow reply. Life got crazy this week.

Yes that is a regular bowl from Target and that lather works as good as it looks!

16. dfoulk

dfoulk Active Member

It will shrink when the water evaporates so I wouldn't depend on that to permanently resize it.
    I grated mine and pressed it into a container (no melting in the microwave here). Before jumping into the shower I'll put a couple teaspoons of water on top of the puck (I do this with some of my hard soaps, especially MWF). After the shower the water is absorbed into the soap and it lathers perfectly for me every time.

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm not getting the shrinkage issue. MWF is so good, you should be using it at least a couple of times a week. If not more.

SDK and Omelmad like this.
  18. dfoulk

dfoulk Active Member

Likely because you're using it often, it'll shrink if you stop using it as frequently.

I have a lot of soaps and don't get to my MWF as often. I grated mine and still notice about a gap around the edge of the container if I leave it sit for a couple weeks or longer. Nothing a little bit of water doesn't fix. I'm just recommending that he grate the soap instead of depending on the swelling to fit it to the container.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. SDK

SDK it's his fault

So far, so good on it fitting in the container.

Really soaking it overnight with the lid on accomplished that same thing as grating without the mess. It was completely softened and I was able to press it down and spread it..

I also throw a tablespoon of water on "any" soap that is about to get used. It seems to alleviate a lot of the issues that I read about online.

I say "read about" as I am yet to have an issue lathering any type or brand of soap. I am assuming that it can be attributed to a combination of the pre soak and my nice soft water here in New England...

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. SDK

SDK it's his fault

BTW- Welcome to TSD dfoulk....

RaZorBurn123 likes this.