Help with Mitchell's Wool Fat

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SDK, Apr 15, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I have officially given up on it. I let mine sit for a little while then had way to much trouble trying to get a consistent lather once I started using it again. To much work IMHO, but as always YMMV.

tuxxdk likes this.
  2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. For me, it was a wonderful soap.

3. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had it to dry.

Soak the puck while showering. Soak your brush at the same time. Shake out most of the water and then started loading the brush.

I bowl lather and if it seems to sticky I add drops of water.

You really need to play around with it to find the best results. You should not feel raw after using it. Its a super slick soap. You should also feel like you have put lotion on after the shave.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You're not alone in having difficulty with MWF. This fact explains the numerous threads on shave forums all asking the same question, "How do I get MWF to lather?" accompanied by several 'how to' videos demonstrating the recommended method of achieving good lather. Whenever I see multiple videos explaining how to get lather from a particular soap puck, this to me indicates that enough people have shared a common problem with the product. MWF can be difficult to lather and requires some attention from the user.

I hope you find the L'Occitane Cade puck more to your liking!

BigMark likes this.
  5. leigh44

leigh44 Member

I soaked the puck for about 4 hours before using it, soaked the brush while I showered and squeezed out most of the water before lathering, I just think I didn't add more water when needed while face lathering.

It's the next morning now and post shave feels okay, have developed a little irritation on the neck beneath the ear but my spots where I usually get irritation (around Adams apple) are all pretty good and redness has subsided around chin/mouth. I'll shave with it next time in the morning and pay close attention to technique and see if I can get that ultra smooth shave I hear so much about. I must say though that my skin did look and feel quite nice this morning

6. theFAT98

Ok. Yea you did the soaking right.

Yea just try adding more water. I find it can handle a good amount.

7. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I still don't get all the hullabaloo around Mitchells - it seems remarkably easy to lather IME. "Load more product", "It's a thirsty soap", "Soak the puck"...I just don't see the need. It loads in seconds and simply makes gobs of beautifully thick, lanolin-rich lather...every single time. It's practically bulletproof in regards to reliability. I'd even say it's easy to lather honestly - not really any more difficult than the soft soaps like Cella or Proraso or whatever, or even a cream for that matter (I happened to use the Ingrams this morning and I couldn't say that it was any easier than the Mitchells to lather - a few seconds quicker perhaps, but not really easier).

I thought at one point that maybe it was to do with the fact that I was using it every day, but I recently broke into it again after a 6 month hiatus or so and it's just as easy now as it was then. YMMV of course, just thought I'd add to the balance.

theFAT98 likes this.
  8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

It's different for some people. I have actually had some trouble with it. It's stil a bit different to lather but I get very veeery nice shaves with it =) it's worth to get to know it and learn how to lather it

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Life's too short to mess around with a soap you don't like. Especially if it's too much trouble. Turn it loose. Me, I like MWF a lot but I am one of the fortunates. It's tough being in the minority opinion on things: I live in Texas and absolutely loathe Dr. Pepper.

tuxxdk and BigMark like this.
  10. leigh44

leigh44 Member

UPDATE : had my second shave with MWF this morning and I must say it might have just been the best shave I've ever had. Except for a few small spots I missed which are my fault, not the soaps, my skin has never looked or felt better. No irritation on my neck at all which is amazing. My new favourite and go to soap!

theFAT98 and fram773 like this.
  11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

You and me both.

I'm trading mine away. Don't want that much trouble just to get me some decent lather.

I've seen many videos and in some of them, what people described as succes lather, it looks airy and thin which is what I don't like and what lacks cushion.

I guess we all have different standards when it comes to lather. I might be picky but MWF does not meet my needs.

BigMark likes this.
  12. Courierdog

Courierdog New Member

My experience with MWF has been one of pleasure from day one.
    Even with a so so lather I had a comfortable shave.
    When I learned how to really achieve a truly superb lather my daily shaves have taken on a life of their own.
    I now can achieve a lather which climbs out of the bowl which neither dissipates or dries out.
    If I could post pictures I could demonstrate my daily lather with MWF

theFAT98 likes this.
  13. theFAT98

My lather with mwf is thick and yogurt like. Never had a problem with it.

Hate to hear others have problems with it. Its easily the best soap I've ever used and I've tried most.

Hodge likes this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have narrowed down what my issues are with it. I simply can't get the brush loaded, boar nor Silvertip.