Help with upper lip?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by RayC1993, May 29, 2015.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I can get the upper lip smooth as glass with a str8. WTG then ATG and done. The DE just takes up too much room to get the job done.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Techs are better at it than SuperSpeeds, and something like the Rimei is really good at it. There's one benefit to an extremely thin cap :)

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  3. Redrooster

Redrooster Member

Hairs on my upper lip seem to be thicker and grow quicker than any other hairs .Cant go atg on my lip my big nose gets in the way so its wtg and some swipes from nose out side ways for me.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome to TSD. I'm sure somebody will come along to help ya out. In the meantime you should head over to the Welcome Center and introduce yourself.

Demidog likes this.
  5. Redrooster

Redrooster Member

Hi im not new just forget to log in most times im more a lurker in the background .thanks anyway sammy.

Demidog likes this.
  6. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

This is generally what I do. When I switched to safety razors, I never thought that I'd be able to shave my upper lip without reverting back to cartridges. Now I do a better job with safety razors so even if I end up using a cartridge, I usually clean up my upper lip with a safety razor.

One pass with the grain, one pass across the grain with very minor buffing. Sometimes I buff in the direction opposite of my last XTG pass to get extra close. Also while pre-shave cream/oil is superfluous, it helps me out tremendously with avoiding nicks and weepers on my upper lip. It's the one place on my face where I would never neglect putting at least a little bit of pre-shave cream.

7. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Currently my only safety razor is an Ever Ready 1912. I love everything about it, except shaving my upper lip. I don't think that my cuts, etc in that area area are the results of bad technique, blades, skin stretching, etc. Rather, in my particular case, it seems to mostly be that my razor simply doesn't FIT into that area. I can't get the head angled to start the cutting process right below my nostrils to keep things from getting furry there. Am I trying to solve a prob that doesn't have to exist by wondering if I should try something like the vintage ladies Kewtie razors or something similar for the area between my nose and the thin mustache I wear? (Plastic surgery isn't an option, though it sometimes looks like I've attempted it myself after shaving there lol).

Demidog likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Try something with a very narrow head, such as an OLD. Definitely a three piece. the SE's will be very hard to get the right angle.

Demidog and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I always just shave across my mustache area. That way I don't have to try to get my razor head in under my nose.

Demidog and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. Bookworm

Tried that a little, but it doesn't do well to get right at my nostrils. It does help polish a bit, however.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Norcalnewb like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SR skin stretching with nose pull will allow any razor to shave the upper lip easily.

The answer is rarely new gear.

12. Norcalnewb

I can actually get the corner of the razor right under the nostrils fairly well. I do two passes that way. The first starting in the middle and going out on each side, the second going from the cheek to the middle on each side. I have do a little clean up right under the nostrils but it all seems to work well for me.

13. Bookworm

We all have different faces and different needs, despite what @Bama Samurai seems to think :) I mean, imagine Jimmy Durante trying to use, say, a Tark Electric :p

14. Norcalnewb

:happy088:

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Can we change that to any safety razor.....?

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

So you wear a pencil mustache and need to trim the line above it and the snozz? Not trying for a clean shave which is easy with the 1912?

17. Ijustmissedthe50s

Right...doing the "pencil thin" thing. Have for a long time. I have absolutely no desire to go back to modern, plastic razors. To me, as a noob, shaving with my 1912 is an experience, not just a shave. That being said, I could always get the right outcome with the disposables.
    So, that leaves me with trying some of the great answers in these replies. After reading, I can see where at least some of the solution truly will be technique, as I consistently hear from those of you with more experience. The comment on the solution rarely involves new gear shored up what I was worried about...reinventing the wheel lol. I had to figure, guys have been doing the same thing I want to accomplish for yes! And they prob used what they had...nose included. So I'm going to focus on using my se technique on that area in particular.
    Great feedback from all of you...thanks! I look forward to more! P.S......i now wonder why a razor company never came up with a model called the Durante!!! LOL

18. Ijustmissedthe50s

Another great idea! Can't wait to see how this plays out! And hey, an excuse to look at another razor, though I'm particularly fond of this one.

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No. Any razor. All razors are the same. Simply a handle to draw a blade bevel parallel to the skin at a low angle of attack. From a Tech to a straight....it's all the same at Skin level.

(Not written for you ;))

20. Ijustmissedthe50s

You stress technique a lot, and breaking it down like that makes sense. After reading all the replies, I just sat down and FOCUSED on technique just for my upper lip. Wow...my 1912 came through again lol! She was there for me, I just wasn't treating her with the respect she deserved lol. I got the exact results I wanted with not one single skin break of any kind. This is a blast! Aside from projecting a personality onto my razor, and referring to it as "her", I'd say my new shaving experiences have been overwhelmingly positive! Just don't tell my hair clippers...he can be a real jerk sometimes. See..no issues here with my new hobby.