Help with upper lip?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by RayC1993, May 29, 2015.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I don't "think", I actually know.

Knowledge was gained through two years of thirty day trials and fully journaling all of it. Controlling for variables and the whole nine.

My credentials are on this forum. Show yours. Where can I read your multi-year log of technique?

Carry on.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

30 years of using the DE. The _same_ DE. with whatever blades I could get, and whatever canned goo, soap, or other face lubricant I could come up with.

Do I have it written down? No. Why? Because ... for the most part, there wasn't any place _to_ write it down, nor did anyone care. It was 1985 when I started shaving! Do I have any technique with SE's? nope. Straights? Nope. Do I claim to have any expertise with those? Nope. I guess I could give some pointers for electrics, but considering that I abandoned them....

It's like going up to someone and demanding that they tell you exactly how they know how to walk in a straight line. _I can't remember_. If you want concentration on variables, I can tell you that over that period of time, I didn't have -any choice-. If I bought a can of Barbasol, I used _that can_ until it was bone dry. When I bought a tube of Gillette Edge Gel, I used that until it was empty. A pack of Schick blades? I used it until they were gone.

What I'm learning now is mostly soap and brush, and it's been fun so far. I haven't found a blade yet I can't get a good shave out of, even if an excessively unpleasant one as I did with the Voskhod. That's because I learned how to NOT hurt myself - the hard way. By hurting myself :p

So - I can't give you chapter and verse on why soap X is better than Y, or why brush Y is better than Z. I suspect that I'll end up with a modern synthetic, but I've a long way to go until I even get to trying one. I CAN say that _the tools do make a difference_. The 40's SuperSpeed is actually _easier_ to use than the black handled SuperSpeed I spent 30 years with. The Aristocrat is about the same. Flare Tip is like the black handled. The Piccolo was a nasty shock, but the OLD(and related) were easy to adapt to. The Techs have been easy. Each one takes about 30 seconds to adjust to the blade angle, and a full pass to get used to the differences. _They are different_. _The blades are different_.

I guess we'll simply have to agree to disagree. I think that no matter how good the craftsman, the tools do make a difference, and you think that no matter the tools, they're all the same to the craftsman.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Good for you man! Also I like that your tools have not only genders but personality traits.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and Bookworm like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Good by me.

5. Bama Samurai

We love this stuff!

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

In French and Spanish, EVERYTHING has a gender!

As for personality traits, we all think that. I mean, we talk about the blades biting us, don't we?

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!!!! That is why we stress technique over tools!!