Here's my watch of the day

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Eeyore, Sep 3, 2015.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Chris, looks like you’ve acquired some ink since I saw you, but that has been a while back.

RyX, Bama Samurai and brit like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi Tony! I actually had it then, but wore long sleeves in public with you that day, as not to offend anyone's cultural sensitivities. I rarely show them publicly, as the ink is not what I want people to remember about me.

Keithmax, brit, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My family bought me this watch for my 70th birthday. I wear it every day!
    F613435D-C963-444D-BCC2-498DE3EBF02F.jpeg

4. Bama Samurai

Beautiful watch!

jgreenepa, Tiredricefarmer and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice piece of bling! I've been doing some internet window shopping. I think my choice will be less than a new band for that one. Maybe when I grow up... :cool:

jgreenepa and wristwatchb like this.
  6. jgreenepa

Thanks, Chris! When my son’s were young we used to go around and try this model on! I certainly couldn’t afford to spend that kind of money putting 4 kids through school! It was a really nice present! They all chipped in, and bought it for me! It has been my dream watch since seeing one on my boss’s wrist back in the seventies.

7. jgreenepa

Rick:
    I never would have bought it either, but I’m forever grateful my kids did. My oldest son jokes with me all the time about who I left it to in the will.

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Gorgeous watch! :happy096:

jgreenepa likes this.
  9. jgreenepa

Thanks, Charlie, much appreciated. Of course, I wore my faithful Seikos and Citizens up until I received this watch. I've always loved the Rolex Blue-faced Submariner, and quite honestly, never expected to own one (although my oldest son says its only on loan until I depart to the higher realms.) My response was always, what makes you think I'll leave it to you. I do have three grandsons. In any case I really enjoy having it.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

You’re right, I forgot you wore long sleeves that day. You may have told me at the time why you wore long sleeves, but I didn't remember. I’d have to have some cultural sensitivities in order to be offended!

11. jgreenepa

Charlie:
    Here is an image of my Deep Blue Juggernaut IV. I like dive watches, and blue-faced examples of the type:

AD130B77-16F6-425D-95F0-B452E63B4CED.jpeg

gorgo2, BamaT, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

jgreenepa likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

awesome again..i like blue stuff..:)

BamaT and jgreenepa like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A new arrival plus the leather strap I ordered for it arrived the same day.

IMG_7108.jpg

gorgo2, BamaT, Bama Samurai and 7 others like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like those big easy to read numerals. Glow in the dark? I'm still picking up terminology. Automatic tells me mechanical & self winding?

brit, Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  16. jgreenepa

Keith:
    I’ve always admired Ball watches! They’re renowned for their precision. Didn’t they get their start or at least were modeled after watches in the railroad industry?

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Yes it is a mechanical auto winder. Yes it does glow-in-the-dark and given your science background I think you’ll enjoy the explanation. The illumination for the numbers in the hands comes from glass tubes that contain helium-3, tritium. It has the longest lasting lume of any of my watches, it’s very easy to read at night.

Jeff, yes they got their start as railroad watches. At the end of the second hand there is a double R, that stands for rail road.

RyX, BamaT, wristwatchb and 1 other person like this.
  18. wristwatchb

It's a beauty, Jeff. I really like dive watches with blue dials!

My birthday is coming up next month if your family wants to send a watch my way. I seem to have room for another watch. :)

Keithmax and jgreenepa like this.
  19. wristwatchb

Wow, Keith. I didn't know you were a Timex man. Very nice!

Seriously, the Ball on leather is a looker! What's next? :)

20. Bama Samurai

That's very nice, and your kids did well! Is it vintage or new production?

RyX, wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.