Hi from NY

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by ColetteMarie, Jan 6, 2012.

1. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

A little late to the party, but welcome to The Shave Den!! I hope you enjoy your stay.

2. WatfordJC

WatfordJC New Member

I'm a self-diagnosed Aspie, and for the most part I can act neurotypical around strangers (albiet come across as quiet/shy). Since everyone on the spectrum is different, I'll just speak from personal experience - and noted differences between your son and I - and include things that may or may not be relevant in his situation.

An electric razor has never touched my face because:
    • my Dad and Granddad use them and they have stubble not long after they shave
    • my face is more sensitive than my scalp, and I know how painful hair clippers can be when pulling hair
    Before I switched to a straight razor in November 2010, I used a Mach 3 and whatever canned goo was to hand from that never-ending pile of toiletries received as presents. I hated the foam and gel, avoided shaving as long as I could get away with it, and probably spent more time trying to get every single hair out from between the blades than I actually spent shaving (not to mention that icky strip).

I'd suggest a badger brush (assuming the barber uses one, new sensation/fibre) and soap. Making a lather takes a bit more time, but soap is real easy to wash off. If he can stand places with a lot of fragrances/perfumed products, going to a store to find a scented soap he likes is an option. New brushes tend to have a bit of an odour, but they soon start smelling of the soap. If hand creams (like the concentrated Neutragena ones) are an issue, I'd recommend staying well away from pre-shave oils as they are difficult to wash off.

As far as motor skills go, I'd probably place all methods of shaving somewhere between playing computer games with dual analogue sticks and spreading chunky peanut butter on unbuttered medium sliced bread.

Spacial awareness may be more of an issue, especially when a mirror is involved. Are his fingertips and/or sides of his fingers sensitive enough to feel his bristles when lathered up? Without the use of a mirror, can he touch his right sideburn with his left hand and touch just below that area with his right hand? Without the use of a mirror, can he touch his right sideburn with his left hand and touch just below that area with the bristles of his toothbrush whilst holding the handle of the toothbrush in his right hand? Can he do likewise with his left sideburn? Can he hold his toothbrush and touch these four points: below each nostril, above his left upper lip, above his right upper lip?

That should give an idea of his spacial awareness when it comes to his face. The toothbrush tests give an idea of his ability to compensate for the length of a tool - if the bristles touch his eyebrow I wouldn't recommend what I'm about to suggest without some toothbrush practise first.

After lathering up, it may be possible to remove the mirror from the equation and rely upon tactile feedback instead. That may sound crazy, but I'm sure I'm not the first person that has blamed a nick on a malfunctioning mirror. If the mirror isn't a problem at all, on to my next suggestion...

A camcorder. If a perfectionist with a keen eye also has that analytical mind trait, he might find going over the recording of his recent shave worthwhile. Similarly, a double-edge or straight razor may not be completely outside the realm of possibility in the future - never side-to-side as mentioned above, plus using the correct angle (a visual thing), and some practice perfecting the technique (and the usage/upkeep of other paraphernalia).

A BBS "perfect" shave needn't be the goal every shave either. A few days ago I shaved off my 3 month beard and was satisfied with a DFS - any smoother and my skin would have complained.

Alum blocks (and I presume styptic pencils) taste funny and tighten up the skin. Washing it off a few minutes after the bleeding/stinging stops is fine. Eau de toilette/parfume... behind the ears and a bit on the upper chest is fine if used for just the fragrance, aftershave probably add some to lower neck as well - no need to splash on face if you don't want to.

3. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

i think you and your son are going to learn to love using a brush and bowl to create a nice hot rich lather to shave with...i would stick with a cartridge razor for right now for him such as the one you said you bought already or the fusion proglide by gillette....they arnt as dangerous as a double edge or straight razor and still do a great job at shaving. if there is anything at all i can help you with dont be afraid to ask or private message me....just click on my picture to the left and click start a conversation....i will gladly help with all i can :) bye for now

4. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Late to the gathering as well but.....Welcome aboard!! My hat is off to you!!

5. marks971

marks971 Member

Welcome to TSD! :signs046: