High Mountain Vs Silvertip Badger??

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, Jan 27, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm trying to choose between a Whipped Dog High Mountain and A Silvertip Badger knot. Please educate me on the differences. Pros and Cons too.

RyX, Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but from what I've read, High Mountain hair comes from a very specific section of the badger pelt (between the should blades?). Silver tip are usually from other areas of the badger that are soft and dense, but not from whence came the High Mountain. Also, Silver tip knots may be bleached to create the "silver tip."

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Whipped Dog's High Mountain is not the same thing as High Mountain White, Manchurian, or whatever the forums happen to be calling it at the moment.

It's a mixed hair knot. Has Silvertip, Finest, and Pure all mixed together, and would be more properly called a softer 'Pure knot,' or a 'finest knot' with low backbone.

I would recommend the Silvertip. 100%.

Whipped Dog High Mountain on the left. Shavemac D01 (what I would consider a true "high mountain" knot) on the right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Edit: and yes, the color difference between the two is that dramatic.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have both and prefer the silvertip. It's firmer, while not scratchier, and also seems denser to me.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have both and I'm sold on the high mountain!! What a wonderful knot with just the right amount of backbone with Uber soft tips.

Enrico, PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @DaltonGang
    You should know that @RaZorBurn123 and I don't see eye to eye on this knot. He purchased his some time after I purchased mine, and knots vary, sometimes by quite a bit, from batch to batch. Badger hair quality is largely dependent on how cold the previous winter was and the time of year the hair is harvested. Also on how well the hair was sorted before being made into a knot. In my particular knot, the hair quality was decent, but with a high percentage of wispy back hair, which is unsuitable for shaving brushes and is usually removed during sorting.

DaltonGang, Douglas Carey and mrchick like this.
  7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I have both brushes and I LOVE IT :happy088: I would highly recommended you get the High Mountain Badger it has a FANTASTIC backbone for face lathering
    [​IMG]

8. DaltonGang

Oh, I forgot to add, I face lather.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I would also look at these sites. Larry is an amazing vendor to deal with, however, I don't find his knots very consistent. IMO
    https://www.thegoldennib.com/
    https://www.shavemac.com/

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'll add to the division, I have both and prefer the silver tip. I found the HMW to scrtichy.

DaltonGang and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. DaltonGang

This is getting interesting. I stopped using my badgers, a couple years ago, because of scritch. I like soft with a medium amount of backbone.

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Then I vote silvertip. The challenge with that knot is getting it set deep enough that it isn't a flopper, but with enough loft that is still able to splay nicely.

You are setting this into a handle you already own?

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

And my high mountain white sheds a bit. Not like a lot at once, but a few hairs here n there. I find that a little frustrating, but I'm sure the badger did too.

PLANofMAN and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Let's see, 3 for Silvertip, 2 for High Mountain. Not many opinions so far.

15. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

I only have the High Mountain from Larry. I would call it a finest knot. It has soft tips, with just a little hook to them, and backbone for face lathering. I got it nearly two years ago, and it does let go of a hair or two per shave. I had it set deep when I ordered it. That was a mistake. It made the knot pointy and too firm. I steamed the knot out, and reset it about 7mm to 8mm higher. It's works great now, just don't think you're getting a $30 Shavemac.

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I believe, according to Larry at WD, the Silvertip is a bit softer while the high mountain us a bit "scritchier". (Is that a word?)

HERM

17. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Just get both WD Silvertip Badger and High Mountain Badger from Larry you've got nothing too worried about, and it's cheaper than spending big money on a very high quality badger brush

Terry Williams and Douglas Carey like this.
  18. DaltonGang

I received a message from Larry, at Whipped Dog. He stated that since I face lather, and wanted soft tips with backbone, then the High Mountain Badger is what I should get.

Douglas Carey and SpeedyPC like this.
  19. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have two WD High Mountain knots and one Silvertip. All are excellent, IMHO. I have both face and bowl lathered with these with good results. Nice backbone; nice tips.

20. DaltonGang

So, if you had to choose between the two, to face lather, which would you choose??

Redrock and Douglas Carey like this.