High Mountain Vs Silvertip Badger??

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

The Silvertip. A little more backbone and I personally like the feel to my face more than the HM. Hope this helps. I do not believe you will be disappointed in one of Larry's Silvertips.

DaltonGang and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thank you.

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not sure what you decided @DaltonGang . Your Q&A has given me some great info!
    I just received a WD High Mountain knot from Clint @clint64. He pulled the knot from his handle to replace it with something else. I don't recall what his new one will be. Tom @twhite 's B-400 threaded ferrules are well machined so I will be able to speed swap with mine from synthetic to boar to badger.
    From those that do enjoy their WD HM I gather;

• @SpeedyPC has his WD HM set at 50mm loft & loves it.
    • @Hillbilly79 had his set too deep, so he scooted it up & is pleased.

I've looked at it and think I'm going 54mm loft. Any deeper tightens up the bulb, where as set high may give too much flop. Couple day for the silicone to set and I'll let you know my impression.

Whipped Dog High Mountain 24mm at 54mm loft.gif

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

How would the loft differ from a face lather method, or a bowl lather?

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good question. I started with new boar brushes and face lathering 1-1/2 years ago. Not knowing any better I enjoyed breaking in a couple Omega brushes with my face. Sometime after they softened up I tried making lather in an Old Spice mug. Not so happy with that, I discovered suribachi bowls, and acquired a not very dense Vulfix 660 badger brush. I got a less than favorable impression of badgers from the experience. My second, a Vulfix 2235 is a bit denser, but still requires a different than boar or synthetic strategy when bowl lathering - gripping 1/3 of the knot to hold enough stiffness to agitate the soap or cream into lather.
    So my answer is based on my personal experience of finding badger knots to be without backbone as compared to boar or synthetic. Scritch is acceptable, & backbone might be achieved by setting at a lower loft.

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you for your time.

RyX likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very welcome Doug. I still have that New Shaver feeling which is part of why I enjoy this whole thing so much. Learning new stuff keeps my brain exercised. If I've erred, please share. Either here where others can also learn, or in PM if you prefer.

Douglas Carey and Linuxguile like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent info. Thanks Rick.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.