Home Brew Shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hercule, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

I'm sure I'll be just fine.

From the online description of the soap I last used:
    Bath and Body Works Wash Those Paws Coconut Pineapple Foaming Hand Soap New Formula a luxurious foam that transforms into a rich, to gently wash away dirt and germs. Now enriched with nourishing Aloe and protective Vitamin E and Shea Extract. Fragranced with a creamy island cocktail of juicy pineapple, sugarcane and coconut milk

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

What ad? :D

Screenshot_20210727-215219_resize_94.jpg

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

4. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Look at the ingredient list. If it is a liquid hand soap you will probably find Sodium Lareth Sulfate high up on the list. It is a surface tension reducing detergent commonly used in laundry soap.

I am a little puzzled by your, "I'm sure I'll be just fine." response. Seems unnecessarily dismissive and condescending. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but I though I would let you know. Anyway, my point is not that it is going to hurt you-it won't as it is perfectly safe. My point is that it is going to strip away all those expensive fats and oils (the nourishing Aloe and protective Vitamin E and Shea Extract) that you paid good $$for. I suppose you could respond that you are fabulously wealthy and don't care about the $$ or your skin. Well, if that is the case just use Ivory bath soap. It is tallow based, lathers well and doesn't have any detergents. That is why it leaves a nasty ring on your tub.

5. Tedolph

Probably has a thyroid issue.

Ijustmissedthe50s and twhite like this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

7. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

No, really, I'll be fine.

8. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Beers for everyone !!!...........................except for @richgem , He's on that Kefir Kick :happy088:
    200w (2).gif

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I don't like beer anyhow. :p

Ijustmissedthe50s and Dave in KY like this.
  10. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

:happy088:

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Fine be that way...

12. Tedolph

Good to know.

Hercule likes this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Occasionally, I will use my shower soap, but just to shave under my arms. It's a shea butter soap & works OK for that purpose.

Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  14. Tedolph

Depends on the soap. Tallow based soaps like Ivory and Dove work fine for shaving. Not the best but work OK in a pinch.

Lancre likes this.
  15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

+1 on the Dial. That was what I used when I first started DE shaving. No brush, just Dial.

16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have used Dove and CVS Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar bath soaps as shaving soaps. They work quite well. I heard that Dove would do double duty as a shaving soap long before taking up traditional shaving.

17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I like Dove with the Tallow in it, I'll shave a puck of Williams and a bar of Dove, mix and press them together in shave bowl. Even though Dove makes a great lather by it's self mixing the poor lathering new Williams makes for an even better lather. I get a start of a good lather in 5 sec., great lather in 20-30 seconds.
    Cella, Vito's (kilos) Arko (bowl pressed) and Dove mix are my only soaps in my rotation.

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

First off, does anyone here every actually run out of soap? I'm good for at least 4 more years. And secondly, Williams makes a fine shower soap during mosquito season around here and is less expensive than some bar soaps for the shower.

I use bar soap or body wash for shaving my scalp 2-4 times per week when I shower. Trac II and all is always well for the old bean.

19. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Bar soap was all I used before I returned to DE, brush and puck shaving at the sink. It worked just fine.

Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  20. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

palmolive green bar soap from the dollar store is extremely slick.sometimes dangerous in the shower!i have gotten good shaves with it.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Frijolero like this.