Home Made After Shave

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Tallships, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

With nothing better to do on rainy days, I've been making some of my own After Shaves. In a half gallon milk jug, I mix:
    1: 16 oz. bottle Witch Hazel
    1: 16 oz. bottle of rubbing Alcohol
    1 tbs. Cloves (whole)
    3 sticks of Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. All Spice
    4 oz. Vanilla
    1/2 tsp. Lemon zest
    I'll shake mixture once or twice a day for about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks. Makes a nice skin bracing after shave, lasting about an hour or two, has a nice scent that my wife likes.

MacDaDad, RyX and PLAla like this.
  2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

I make some of my own aftershaves as well. Have you tried substituting grain alcohol(Everclear) instead of the rubbing alcohol? It should extend the life of the A/S and is nowhere near as harsh or drying as isopropyl is.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

MacDaDad, Terry and RyX like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

sounds nice! I may just have to try that. Thanks for sharing.

4. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Any excess Everclear can be mixed with pineapple juice, grape juice, grapefruit juice, grapes, pineapple and fruit cocktail for a most wonderful PJ.

MacDaDad, Terry, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

"Hiccup"

Sure can!

MacDaDad, Terry, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I'll have to try it, thought about adding Vodka and thick Jamaican Rum instead of alcohol but that's more for drinking

Hiccup +1

Terry, RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  7. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

I've used vodka, but it can impart it's own "flavor" which may or may not be desirable in your mix while Everclear is pretty much almost tasteless/odorless so you get the scent of only what you put into it... ;)

Jamaican rum though... I do use that in my Bay Rum recipe. Quite yummy!

Terry and RyX like this.
  8. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

When making your own and using "drinking alcohol" does a higher proof alcohol work better? If so and using rum how would 151 rum compare to regular proof?

Terry and RyX like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Perfumers alcohol is 200 proof pure grain alcohol. Everclear is available in 190 proof - 95% alcohol. Using 151 proof rum would have 75.5% alcohol. It's that other 24.5% that add flavors that can affect the scent of your brew.

Terry and S Barnhardt like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Some states you can't get 190 proof anymore. I live in one, 151 everclear is better than vodka in tinctures and extracts. If thats all you can get.
    tp

S Barnhardt likes this.