Homebrew?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rodd, Nov 25, 2009.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Anyone here do any home-brewing? I have a couple of friends who have been doing some, so I tagged along. I can see this being something I will enjoy. :) Another one of those things though, that can be cheap, or it can get very expensive. ;)

If you homebrew, are you doing kits, or all grain? Are you bottling or kegging? Any pointers for a guy starting out?

2. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Sterilisation is key to everything. If in doubt, sterilise it.

Also generally speaking the longer you leave it, the better it is.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've been very interested in this hobby for some time. Might look into picking up a basic kit soon.

4. harlekin

harlekin New Member

I'm not exactly a pro at homebrew, but I have made a quite successful batch of Hefeweizen and have read up on the subject quite a bit.

First, I would look around and see if you have a good homebrew supply nearby. Usually the shops are run by hobbyists who took the next step and are happy to help you learn (and usually will share some samples with you.)

You can use a commercial kit, but honestly, it's pretty easy to get everything you need from a good supplier. A local shop or one of the online specialty supply places may have their own kit that will include all of the proper equipment without the commercialized bs. I'd avoid using a recipe kit though, that just takes a lot of the fun out of it.

I would suggest going with a partial grain (malt extract) ale for your first attempt. You need additional equipment to make full grain (lauter tun and the like) and a dedicated refrigerator to make a lager.

I can recommend a couple of books:
    Brewing Quality Beers by Byron Burch
    - This book is cheap and great for beginners. It's the book I started with.

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charles Papazian
    - This book is the uncontested bible of homebrewing. A little weak on partial grain though.

And I agree absolutely with hunnymonster. Cleanliness and sterilization are everything!

5. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Honestly, I know I cannot match the experience of those who came before me, and made fortunes doing so. Give me a Molson, and feed me to the lesbians.

6. harlekin

harlekin New Member

To actually answer the original questions, though:

It can be done cheap or expensive. If you get into full grain lagers you need more equipment. You can rig up some of that stuff cheaply, but some people spend enormous sums on crazy equipment.

I'd love to do some kegging, but kegs and CO2 systems are fairly expensive. A slightly cheaper method is to use soda kegs or a party pig. Bottles can be expensive too, if you actually buy new ones. The best way is to save bottles whenever you drink a beer that comes in a suitable bottle. (suitable meaning no screw off caps, brown bottles are preferred)

7. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

When I was starting out on the brewing road as a poor student about 20 years ago, I actually used 1 litre PET soda bottles - they have the advantage that they tend not to explode if you inadvertently overprime the bottles...

8. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I've brewed on and off for the last 15 years or so. Yes, it can be cheap or expensive.

I do partial extract brews. That is, I make a "tea" of cracked grains and then add the liquid extract and hops to that for my one-hour boil. I just started kegging when a friend got rid of his kegging equipment and I was the beneficiary! Bottling is too much work for me.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks for the advice and info guys! I have my first batch in secondary fermentation now. I did a IPA kit like this that had malt extract, and pellet hops. My friend has a lot of the equipment and is extremely helpful, so that has been a great way to start. I should be bottling now, but I am seriously considering building some sort of kegerator, just because I think it would be easier. My friend is using the soda kegs, and it seems to work well. Unfortunately they don't fit in my old dorm fridge, so I'll have to find something else. I agree Jason, I can buy beer from people with more experience, and it will probably taste better, and won't cost much more, if at all, but I really enjoyed brewing with some friends. I get hooked on hobbies easily. ;)

10. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

You're buying from a massive concern that like most modern corporations is run by accountants - a bottle of Molson today bears little resemblance to a bottle as it was originally produced (one of the often overlooked items is the water - it has a big effect on the beer, but the accountants will shift production from the original area to the other side of the country/world without a thought for the output) - even in the last 20 years since I've been drinking beer I've noticed that it's changed and not necessarily for the better.

Brewing your own you have the ultimate control - I like a very well-hopped old-fashioned IPA - there isn't one that fits my personal taste on the market, so I brew my own. I still buy some, but mostly I drink my own.

11. nealf

nealf New Member

I normally buy craft beer (~$8 / 6pack). However, buying ingredients in bulk (hops & grain) and brew all grain batches of beer I can brew a 5 or 10 gallon batch of beer and have it come out close to commercial quality (not every time...) for about $20 for an average strength average hopped beer. I have been brewing for just about 2 years and got into it really heavy right away. I also have to agree that brewing can be as frugal or expensive as any hobby... It all depends on how much you want to invest.

I would certainly agree that if you are generally buying macro brewed light laters (Bud Light, Miller, etc etc) you cannot save money by and large. However, I thoroughly enjoy the brewing process and the outcome is nice too.

An awesome resource for any up and coming homebrewer is, in my opinion, homebrewtalk.com ... This site has helped me to meet brewers in my area and helped learn great brewing practices.

12. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I I have done a lot of homebrewing in my days! All grain, there is no other way to do it ;)

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would like to do all grain sometime, but I don't think I am ready to jump in to that yet.
    I did talk to a friend earlier this week that is getting a new refrigerator, and offered me his old one, so I will be building a kegerator and kegging my brew, and maybe some DIY soda. :) I guess I am going to be asking for kegerator parts for Christmas this year. That and brew kits. :)

14. iron maiden

iron maiden New Member

My friend homebrews. We just had a brew session a few weeks back. He made up a batch of "Pliny the Elder" which was quite nice.

15. ironbrewer

ironbrewer New Member

I started brewing in 1985. In 1991 I started brewing commercially. in 2005 I quite brewing. I couldn't make any money doing it. I keep wanting to start homebrewing, but it kinda feels like work now.

I figured out how much beer I have brewed in my lifetime. It comes out to approximately 4,375,000 pints of beer not including homebrewing. Of course I brewed 217, 435 and 620 gallon batches, but it was really good. I wrote the recipes as well.

16. Loner16

Loner16 New Member

I used to do a fair amount of it..

As others have said, sterilization is everything, and is sometimes easier said than done. But, I produced some great Ales that were very enjoyable.. It can also be a bit messy, at least the way I did it, and I had to pay a price in negative comments from my wife whenever a batch was brewed.
    On the positive side, there is absolutely nothing that can compare to a full carboy bubbling happily away in a cool place.. The magic of yeast at work!

Unfortunately, home brew can be considered "liquid bread," and it just put too much weight on me to continue..

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Wow, that is cool. What was the name of your brewery? Sorry that homebrewing lost its fun for you.

Eek. I hadn't thought of that aspect... :o

18. ironbrewer

ironbrewer New Member

Helped open up the Oasis in Boulder. Unfortunately close to the end most of the good brewers left and the owner did som bad buisness decisions. Worked at the Rock Bottom in Denver for a bit, Baja Brewing company in San Diego also now defunkt, Harpers in East Lansing Michigan, but hated Michigan and the owners were asses, last brewery was Ironworks a very small place just outside of denver, but could not make enough money so I quit. Ironworks is where my user name comes from.

19. Moe

Moe Active Member

Hey Rodd,

I'm a bit late to this thread, but looks like you've got some great advice. Your friend who has been brewing is probably your best resource, and can maybe save you from some of the mistakes that he made. If you have a local home brew supply shop, they are typically very helpful, unfortunately you occasionally get one that is clueless. Also, just like this site is great for shaving; http://www.homebrewtalk.com is my favorite for brewing.

As for all grain, I started brewing in 1980, all I did for years was extracts, now all grain is what I do 95% of the time, but occasionally i'll whip out a batch of extract; you can make great beers either way. You have years to accumulate brewing hardware,,,,,,, seems to take a little longer than collecting razors and brushes :D

As for kegging, it is my primary method of storage/serving, and soooo much easier than bottling (the father-in-law loves to come over and poor a draft of home brew). I will bottle certain beers,,,,,, I currently have a breakfast stout in the bottle, German Altbier in the keg, and will keg Bohemian Pilsner after Christmas. Probably brew a pale ale in January that will be headed to a keg.

Dropped in a photo of my electric hot liquor tank and mashtun

02_Hot water tank and mashtun.jpg

Good luck on your first batch, if you ever get to my part of the state, i'll let you sample,,,,,,,,,, if I haven't drank it all ;)

-Moe

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Wow Moe, I missed this when you posted it. Sweet looking setup you have there!

I have finished a couple batches now, and have a couple more fermenting. I have been really happy with the results. I said earlier that the first was an IPA, it turned out pretty good. I enjoyed it. Friday I tapped a Malted Cider that I found a recipe for at homebrewtalk. I am really enjoying that. It is really fun, I just wish I had more time for brewing. :) I did end up building a kegerator, but after seeing the energy ratings for a 1987 refrigerator, I decided to do it with a new chest freezer. Still needs a little work, but it is pouring cold beer, cider, and Diet Coke. :)
    [​IMG]