Hone Type 15

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bussemand, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Thank you @Ahh Oui - now how about those pictures of your Type 15? :D

Hembree likes this.
  2. Ahh Oui

Ahh Oui Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Little splash of springtime here in DC!
    (Note the speckles and greenish patina starting on the handle)

3. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

The surface almost looks smooth? Loving the colour changes!

Hembree and Ahh Oui like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I really like the patina developing here

Hembree and Ahh Oui like this.
  5. Mark Booth

Mark Booth New Member

Pics:
    HONE Type-15 Brass
    L'Occitane— Cade Shaving Soap "LOCK SEE TAN”
    PermaSharp Super DE Blade
    Myrsol Emulsion— pre-shave
    Zenith Boar 27 knot 57 Loft (amazing brush)
    Razo Rock- The Best Deodorant- Tea Tree

Hello... I posted this elsewhere but wanted to share this update for the benefit of The Shave Den community and added discussion. Hope you don’t mind. I’ve made some added comments to keep it as fresh and original as possible.

Bussemand, I second the perfect assessment from Ahh Oui above!

I must admit, The Clean Shaver video peaked my interest in the HONE Type 15 razor— I ended up buying both the Type 15 Brass and Type A Aluminum razor. I am by far more fond of the Type 15 Brass— in fact, it’s one of the best shaving DE razors in my arsenal! Maybe my best shaving DE— yes it is an amazingly stellar razor!

I have a very-wiry beard, fast growing... but with some middle-age thinning— but still nothing to right-off as an easy face to shave, plus I have very sensitive skin which can easily break into a rash unless I use high-quality shaving soaps for skincare with mostly natural ingredients.

I have wet shaved for a couple decades and actively shave with about every category of razor— straight razors plus JNAT and Belgian Coticule honing enthusiast, Schick & Gem style blade—“LOVER” of these great razors and blades. Im fortunate to own (or have owned) about every brand of DE razor as both a user and collector— my work profession requires me to be clean shaven in public, so I probably only miss a shave about 5-days a year. Shaving— it’s something I love to do.... my morning ritual shave is also my time for life-balance... planning for work priorities and prayerfulness and devotion while shaving away.

I’m very consistent in steaming my face and a pre-shaving maniac... so that a blade can actually have a chance at cutting through my course beard. LOL
    (Ok, it’s not that bad, but my hyperbole makes a valuable point)

So in general with a few exceptions, I’ve seen or used “them all” in the broad sense of the term. The HONE Type 15 blows me away— several reasons!

This razor needs to be approached somewhat differently, while designed as a mild shaving razor in the ranks of a Feather AS-D2 or Pils Razor,
    it can catch one by surprise— my shaves with a sharp blade like a DE PermaSharp Super (or similar) allows me to get as close of a shave as with a more aggressive ATT-H razor, Fatip or Timeless Ti 0.95or R-41 with MUCH less irritation by final pass.

Net result: No irritation but astonishing close (by final pass) that I would otherwise not have if I were using an overly aggressive razor (harsh feeling) building irritation more than cutting the beard shave result. Yes, it takes a few more passes than with my aggressive-style razors (initially) but with far better smoothness throughout the shave (as a daily shaver) and the final stroke is actually a noticeably closer shave.

Technique-
    One should be patient with this razor and perfect the angle (about 30+ degree angle) and a slightly slower speed— I apply moderate to light pressure but a tad slower.. certainly not rushed. Think SE razor or straight razor when using this razor— give time for the razor heft and blade sharpness to work. Make the heavy weight of the razor and inertia your friend. Think tactical fighting technique... like takedown moves using leverage and the opponents own weight. The human body always wants to move at its axis points so make your opponents own strength and weight work for you is the thinking. This is the same with shaving, and particularly so with this responsive razor. I think of the HONE Type 15 much like a heavier version of a German Pils razor but much heavier— both very responsive razors to good technique and getting the right shave angle. The right shave angle optimizes the efficiency and takes it to the next level. Be patient and give this razor several shaves (6-12) before righting it off. When I use this razor I have ZERO irritation and after the final pass my face is BBS. Even if I’m rushed due to time, my shave is DFS level!

Initially, don’t try to buff (or get too carefree) but treat the razor like you would with a straight razor—keeping it linear and methodical. I recommend a sharp-bias blade type to start, then work down from a keen blade-style to a mild blade if you so desire... until you find the sweet spot for keenness and your face feel. This razor isn’t an aggressive razor (technically) but it can surprise you just how close one can get... a few extra strokes (good conditioning and lather plus careful technique) and one can get super close without irritation results. I have chosen just to let the brass age gracefully with a natural pantene. Brass is highly antimicrobial and will not rust, it conducts heat amazingly well and eveningly. If one desires, a little metal polish will restore the brilliant lustre. Note, there is no danger of hand slippage with the smooth but lustre finish which is every bit as secure as highly textured finishes. Think of it like 320 grit sandpaper— it still has tacky-resistance even when wet, which is a good thing for many users.

For me the HONE Type-15 (Brass) gets me much closer than the HONE 15A (Aluminum) and feels much smoother on my face... not sure why this is actually?
    (Perhaps the weight and slight change in head geometry)
    My son likes the Type15A but his beard is soft and he shaves once weekly like a lot of younger adults nowadays!

So if you love an aggressive razor with lots of blade feel and high-levels of blade vibration chatter, forget this razor for it will frustrate you.
    BUT
    If you like smoothness with “very good” to “excellent” efficiency and closeness... that competes with the aggressive razor types by the final shave pass, then I would say the HONE Type 15 would be a wonderful consideration for you.

I liken this razor to a near wedge straight razor.... (butterly) smooth on the face, but full of inertia and authority and the ability to leave you saying, WOW!!!

Quality of the machining fine-tooling work is outstanding and competes head-to-head with any world-class razor anywhere. The originality of the razor’s minimalistic design (ingenuity and uniqueness) has no equal and is an instant modern classic IMO.

This is a no compromise, takedown with no permission, take no hostage, dominate always with full submission mentality... basically one serious tactical razor— heavy weight contender that is not interested in second place. Do yourself a favor and give it a few extra shaves when evaluating and I believe it will love you back with some awesome shaves!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a hard razor to use, but it is a razor that gets better with practice and use. I reacon it’s more like a 12-cylinder precision European engine— rarely the fastest off the line, but will smoothly cruise at 120mph all day long.

- Mark Booth
    Seattle, Washington

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Hembree and Str8on2 like this.
  6. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Just to bump this thread as I was lucky enough to find one on the b/s/t from a fellow shave enthusiast over on one of the European shave forums. The razor has a very light polish and clean look to it as the original owner kept it from forming any patina that Brass develops over use & time. Below is my take over a period of 2 weeks just using 2 different blades. I echo nearly the same sentiments from those here that have and still use this fine shaving tool.

I’ll just say it. I’ve been smitten by this razors performance from first stroke to last. Yes, they have all been 3 pass affairs with the occasional buff around some of the tough spots but, in terms of combining comfort with smoothness and interjecting effective efficiency, this razor is a dream to use. The weight of the razor is an added plus in my experience coupled with the thermodynamic properties of Brass in holding heat effectively, it works as if it were wiping the hairs off of my skin without disturbing the skin in potentially igniting the all too common irritation that I try to avoid and nearly all shavers do while shaving. I fortunately have not experienced an iota of drag or stickiness that some have mentioned here and across other forums from the Hone whether on the face or neck in neither ATG, XTG or WTG passes. Don’t get me wrong as this is not a razor that inherently delivers irritation free shaves as to be quite honest, that razor does not exist. With improper technique or a miscue while shaving, any razor may bring forth the irritation and burn uglies after said exercise. I’ve had a total of 10 shaves with the Hone Brass with 7 of them coming from 1 Feather blade (unheard of for me as I usually get 3 quality shaves and maybe a 4th if the shave universe is cosmically aligned) and the last 3 with a KAI. A slight uptick in feel with the KAI yet still very easy on the skin and amazingly wonderful comfort in use. Still haven’t used any of my Gillette sharp blades such as the Minora, Nacets or Black Ninja’s that I compare almost equally to a Feather but, will have those in the que further down the shave line.

Until then though, I will continue to enjoy every shave with the Hone Type 15 Brass employing Feather’s & KAI’s as I feel these blades so far have complemented this razor with excellent cutting ability while simultaneously merging with the geometry and shave characteristics implemented in the design of the Hone razor to near perfection. I say that with the disclaimer that all I say here is based on my use and experience alone.

As a side note, I can only imagine the shave performance from the Unicorn of the Hone house which is the Ti version. If only that had not been made in an extremely limited release as I would have loved to have sampled or ultimately acquired one. Maybe I’ll drop a note to Hone and see what happens. One never knows….

Great shaves to all.

2BBC8E7E-46FC-4A90-B163-B778047A60DD.jpeg

Hembree likes this.