Hone wear?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Edison Carter, May 12, 2019.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Hope you can see this.

Is this normal on a new razor?

Shaves quite well.

20190512_141501-1.jpeg

20190512_141716-1.jpeg

Karl G, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

In a nutshell, no, direct from a seller retailer it should not have that kind of hone wear, even if the seller were to touch up the factory edge he should not cause that.

3. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

This is absolutely normal for the Dovo Best quality or even the black star. Some retailers will also touch up on their own stones to provide a better shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G, Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

Not normal! The seller should change de razor

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Na..Thats NOT Normal from the Dovo Factory...Someone had that Razor on the Hones WITHOUT Tape...:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

6. Edison Carter

Thanks gents.

FYI...

It was honed by a reputable seller. I hesitate to say, because I'm not sure 'who' there actually honed it. It shaves about as well as any straight I've used. I've never done more than strop it (no paste). I think it is safe to say they should have known better and no tape was used. And, not a chance on a return for multiple reasons.

I haven't done a satisfactory examination to offer info on the trueness.

I know there are a few not in agreement with the theory of using a convexed hone, but I have one. I saw this while reviewing candidates for my science project.

When I saw the wear, it reminded me of what I had deliberately done to my first science project with the cutest little warp. I was able to get that razor to shave ok with both flat and convex honing. I'm not sure that razor could ever be a top shaver, but a reasonable educational prop it is.

Appreciate the input.

Karl G likes this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Maybe. How do you like that non-answer, lol.

If a razor has some grinding issues from the factory, and Dovo Best are known for that or were at one time, a reseller might have honed the razor without tape to correct the spine/edge. That said, the only Dovo Best I’ve had on the bench lately was perfectly fine, a nice razor.

So, if the razor had issues from the factory, that wear might not be inappropriate to fix the issues. Still, a new razor should not have those issues to begin with. And it is possible someone just got a little heavy handed with it.

Can you get better images of the bevel width along the razor? That would help.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Edison Carter

I tried my best to capture what I think you need to see. I'm handicapped with my phone and a flashlight.

20190512_194318.jpeg 20190512_194910.jpg

Karl G, brit and Steve56 like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Is the bevel the same width from toe to heel on both sides? I can’t really tell.

If the bevel becomes vanishingly small in some areas, it was likely overground.

Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  10. Edison Carter

My observations:

Bevel widens at the toe and heel on both sides, presumably deliberate.

Show side bevel decreases very slightly from toe to heel. Show side spine wear decreases similarly.

Back side is pretty consistent except for a small area corresponding to the most aggressive show side spine wear. The bevel width decreases very slightly there.

On the average bevel width is very close, show side to back.

After reviewing this, my first inclination is to mute the edge and reset a bevel and progress through Naniwa stones.

This razor shaves well, but I consider it expendable in the long run.

Karl G, brit and Steve56 like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

My inclination is to say that your razor is overground in the center, that’s what’s causing the bevel to thin in the center, not get wider at the ends!

I think that your strategy of muting the edge and re-setting the bevel is sound.

Karl G, gssixgun and Edison Carter like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Oh, you might want to Sharpie the bevel where it thins - make a light pass or two and see if the Shaprpie remains on the thin areas.

13. Edison Carter

I've used sharpies on knives to check my angles. I've read it many times for razors, but had not even thought to use it. Thanks for the tip. Will do.

oscar11 and Steve56 like this.