Honing advice - how to get a sharper edge?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by feeltheburn, Sep 21, 2014.

1. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

So what stones replaced your norton?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Naniwa Super Stones…5k, 8k

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

That is a nice step up in quality...how are they working out?

4. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack this but I have a question about the Arkansas stone. I have a the set of Soft, Hard and Surgical hard about 4 inches long x 2 inches wide. How does the Hard Surgical black measure up to the Naniwa 12k in regards to a "finishing" stone for a straight?? Is the Hard or Surgical hard Arkansas stone good enough for creating a finish higher than the Norton 8k stone?

Thx.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Can't speak for Kevin but I like the Naniwas a lot. Really easy to use and they give great results.

45auto likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

The surgical black is the one I got. If you've got one already, give it a try. I like mine after one try.

7. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Is their that much difference in the end product to justify the price difference?

8. feeltheburn

I've never tried the Nortons so I couldn't really say personally.

9. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Does it give it enough of a shine/polished/smooth edge like a Naniwa 12k would? Do you use oil or water on yours?

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Norton combo 4k/8k is a fine stone. Most honers 'cut their teeth' using it. The 4k side is quick and one can shave off the 8k side. I wanted the naniwa 12k- a finisher that gets glowing reviews for its ultra smooth, consistant finish and so wanted my bevel setter and mid-stones to be of the same family thus the switch to all naniwa SS.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. feeltheburn

The Arkansas looks just a bit less shiny to me but after one shave seems to feel smoother on my face. I reserve the right to change my opinion after a few more shaves though. I used mineral oil on the Arkie but will do some experimenting.

sir_mike and HolyRollah like this.
  12. feeltheburn

Well, I had my second shave with the Arkie edge this morning. Good news is it felt just as good as the first. Bad news...well there is none. Woo Hoo! I think I'm finally starting to get this straight razor thing. It's taken a long time for me to get this far and I'm looking forward to continuing the journey.

Drygulch and HolyRollah like this.
  13. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

So where does that put the Escher finishing stone as far as the finished edge? Better and smoother compared to the naniwa ss?

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hard to say. I've always gotten good, smooth results off the Escher as well as the Apache Strata. Just another flavor of finisher in the mix….;)

45auto likes this.
  15. feeltheburn

I'm still relatively new at this but it seems like YMMV applies to finishers. One option to see what agrees with you is to let someone like Glen finish a few razors on different hones for you and see what you like best. If I were smarter I'd have thought of that sooner. :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    45auto likes this.
  16. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Also I am not trying to highjack this thread.

I learned how to sharpen a "Hunting Knife", and I also learned how to sharpen "Ka-Bar Knife" aka Marine Corps Combat Knife, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka-Bar with a Norton Stone, I like them but I like my Arkansas Stones also, I also have a Lansky Knife Sharpening Stone Set.
    Years ago I was visiting my Aunt & Uncle. I was in his garage and he had a beautiful Honing Stone on his work bench, (I decided to sharpen my Buck Knife 110 Folding Knife. When my Uncle walked in the garage I thought he was going to "Vapor Lock" on me. He turned almost as white as a #10 business envelope. It seems that the only thing that he ever used that honing stone for was to sharpen and hone his Straight Razors. Of which I am now the proud owner of and thanks to @Holy Rollah. I have three beautiful straight razors. Thank You again Kevin.

Also let me it clear that using a Honing Stone to Sharpen a Hunting Knife or a Combat Knife is far different from honing a Straight Razor. I can put an edge on my Buck Knife or my Ka-Bar Knife that I could probably shave with but I have no idea how to Hone a Straight Razor, or use a strop on a Straight Razor.
    I remember how it feels to get the working end of a Strop, but I do not know how to use one to sharpen a Straight Razor.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  17. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

When it comes to honing the majority of the work is done at the bevel setting stage.

The finishing stone polishes the edge and really doesn't really remove any metal.

Personally, I have finished razors on jnats, thuris, coticules, Arks, Barber hones, and synthetic stones and find that the results all depend on technique. Thus, my edges became better with more experience.

Its all personal preference in my opinion when it comes to finishers. I've honed many razors for many people and never had any of them notice the difference between finishers.

Its all about the early stages in the honing process (Bevel, Bevel and more Bevel)

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: Preach it, Joe! :happy088:
    Its common to see on shaving forums (including this one) where many beginners are ready to throw down $$$ for exotic finishers rather than invest both time and monies earlier in the honing process.

45auto and JoeB like this.
  19. feeltheburn

Yeah, that Chosera 1K was a great investment.

JoeB likes this.