Honing with Mother's Polish

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JohnDB, Mar 25, 2017.

1. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I've been reading a website that looks at the edges of straight razors under a microscope.
    Link
    Now this guy claims that this very inexpensive product on a pasted denim strop produces wonderful results. After honing stones of 1k or better.
    And following up with a plain leather strop.

This sounds a bit out there.

Anyone ever try this?

Keithmax likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Don't believe everything you read. Or, try it, it might work? Either one might be appropriate.

Billyfergie, George X and JohnDB like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Someone should try it, what is the worst that could happen?

Never heard of this one but I'm curious.

twhite, Jim99, JohnDB and 2 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Did you just volunteer???

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

KEITH! KEITH! KEITH!
    :D

twhite, mrchick, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I can barely hone with stones, I volunteer to watch. :happy005:

I can always play the Korea card, I can't buy that here and it will never make it through customs.

Drygulch, twhite, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

:rah::rah::rah:

8. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I'm sure that they have something equivalent.

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Long before the Internet :)
    I used Simi-Chrome metal polish on the backside of my Linen to smooth up the feel of the edge

There are actually tons of these ideas sprinkled throughout the Old Barbers manuals from Pencil Lead on Newsprint to actual Lead rubbed on Leather

Karl G, twhite, JohnDB and 2 others like this.
  11. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

So it really works?

12. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    As a polishing agent ??? Yes,

The problem with that Blog, is the experience at Honing SR's by the author, basically the blog was/is written by a novice honer with access to an SEM,, that has always been a point of contention..

Can you shave with a 1k edge ??? Yes been proved many times, since I said it about 7 years ago, there is even a thread about people proving the statement on SRP
    Can you improve that edge by using a Polishing agent after you have a solid bevel set ???? Yes

Is this a viable method to attain and hold a shaving edge ??? Yes

Are there better methods/systems ??? Yes

You have to at some point realize they are two separate and distinct types of Shavers out there and a whole spectrum between the two...

#1 Shavers
    #2 Hobbyists

#1 Just wants to shave
    #2 Has embraced that SR shaving is actually a hobby, and pursue a level of performance that is beyond simply removing the hair from one's face

So it depends on where you are at withing that spectrum

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  13. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Well as a guy who actually has friends with PHDs who work in the research field...
    I did notice that his science was a bit skewed towards the results he wished for. He left too many variables to random chance.
    How far he was skewing his research was the main question on my mind.

His pictures of razor edges are fantastic and can be used for understanding the edges we create. But his conclusions are out in left field. No proper scientific research creates conclusions but creates only associations. And variables such as pressure, length of stropping leather the edge is exposed to, speed of honing and stropping, and etc should have been removed from the equation.

His pictures do expose such things like burs, chips, what happens to a blade after shaving and etc.

Spyder likes this.
  14. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Does it ????

We don't know that the edge was honed to full potential at the outset, or was it one of the few razors that he honed multiple times over and over ???

What was the most disappointing is that several Experienced Canadian SR honers offered to help but were ignored, I often wondered at the outcome if they had honed the razors

The potential for real research was at our fingertips :(

Jkb, Karl G, Drygulch and 4 others like this.